✰ 46

After two hours and a half, we were in Tampa, Florida. It was so different from Chicago. The weather here was perfect. I had stupidly packed jackets and sweaters, but it was warm in the beautiful city. The sun was shining vibrantly and the sky was as blue as ever. Tampa had a feel to it. I don’t know what it was, but it made me want to smile. It beat Chicago by a long run. As Kai drove down the streets, with her friends following behind us in a different car, I stared out at the sidewalks. A bunch of people walked the strip. Every day, normal people walked the streets carelessly. Where I lived in Chicago, the only people that really walked the streets were thugs, hoodlums, homeless, drug addicts and drug dealers. Tampa had such a positive environment. I enjoyed looking at the Floridian styled homes. I enjoyed the fresh air and all of the opportunities around me.

Instead of checking into a hotel, Kai had rented two houses. One for her friends, and one for us. I was overly happy that she separated us from her friends. Don’t get me wrong, they were lovely but I just really wanted some alone time with her. Plus, the last encounter I had with Jett wasn’t exactly pleasant. Lucky for me, she’s been ignoring me. I guess Kai put her in her place after what happened that morning. Kai dropped our suitcases into the luxurious room of the beautiful, beige townhome. I looked around the room. Mostly everything was either black, white, or red. It was a modern home with modern appliances. I was sure I wouldn’t know how to use most of the objects in the home. Even the toilet looked complicated. Kai chuckled at me as she unpacked her things. I was roaming through the house touching everything as if I was a child. “Do you like it, angel?”

“I love it,” I gushed as I plopped down on the comfortable, humongous bed. “Not just this house, but Tampa. It’s so nice here. It seems like such a good environment, you know? It’s prettier than Chicago.” I ran my fingers across the material of the bed sheets.

“Yeah, I love it here,” Kai said simply with a smile. She stopped unpacking her bag, and walked over to sit beside me. I gave her a soft smile. “After we see my grandmother, I want to show you around. We can go to the beach. Visit the finest restaurants, and go out clubbing one night.” Kai took a deep breath and bit her lower lip before speaking again, “Do me a favor.” I raised a brow at her as I looked into her emerald eyes. “Let me spoil you while you’re here,” she said as she took my hand in hers. “You deserve it.”

“Okay,” I replied, before pecking her lips. Honestly, she was right. I did deserve it. After all she has been putting me through, I did deserve to be rewarded. I’m not saying that I’ve been the perfect girlfriend to Kai or anything, but I’ve done my duties of a girlfriend better than she had. We both messed up a couple of times, but sometimes Kai just pushed the envelope, and all I ever did was just stick around. I always forgave her way too easily, and even when she was almost unbearable, no love ever left my heart. I was just as much in love with her when she pushed me down last night then I was now. It was a bit fucked up, but love was fucked up. When you truly loved someone, you tolerated things you wouldn’t normally tolerate for anyone else. There were certain buttons that couldn’t be pushed, but Kai hadn’t pushed any of them yet. She came close last night, although.

Kai kissed my forehead before standing up. “Well, it’s around six. We better give my grandma a quick visit before she’s out for the night, then we can get dinner,” she suggested. I nodded as I stood up as well.

Once again, we were on the road. This time Kai had no one accompany us or trail behind us in a car. It was just us all alone. Kai was chewing at her bottom lip a bit nervously, but I didn’t say anything about it. I was the one that was supposed to be nervous. She thought highly of her grandmother. What if her grandmother didn’t like me? It could change Kai’s whole opinion of me. “Hey, Athena,” Kai said a bit quietly. It was the lowest I had ever heard her voice. I looked towards her and she glanced towards me. We were riding in a neighborhood with a bunch of similar houses, so I assumed we were close to her grandmother’s place. “Look, my family is a bit…they’re dickheads. Everyone hates me except for my grandmother, especially my hick of an uncle. Just ignore anything he says.”