✰ 53

“Engaged,” Phoenix, Jett and Jamal all yelled at the same time. None of them could believe that I had asked Athena to marry me on Christmas Day. I could barely believe it either. On Christmas Eve, I had gotten out of my depression, and it was just that I was ten times happier than I’ve ever been in my life. I may have jumped the gun, but I had no regrets about asking Athena to marry me. She was perfect, and she was always there for me. It’s rare to find someone who sticks with you even when you’re going through your darkest times. If I let Athena slip through my fingertips then I would never find any girl better. Most people would think that we were moving too fast, but everything felt right. It wasn’t like we were already planning our wedding, or that our wedding was going to happen anytime soon. We were just engaged, not married and I wasn’t going to get married until I knew I was fully ready. The last thing I wanted to do was give Athena shit throughout our marriage. I may have been a terrible girlfriend, but I was going to be the perfect wife to her.

“Come on, guys. Don’t over exaggerate things. It’s just an engagement. It’s like me telling her that I’m really serious about her. The marriage won’t come until maybe a year or two from now, maybe even more than that,” I said with the shrug of my shoulders. Everyone just kept staring at me with wide eyes as if they couldn’t believe a single word that had come out of my mouth. “I know it’s a bit shocking but can you guys at least act like you’re happy for me. I’m finally truly happy. I don’t have any worries. There’s no more crazy thoughts running through my head. If you’re not happy about the engagement then at least be happy that I’m better now.”

“It’s just-the engagement is so sudden,” Phoenix voiced. “Then you’re just now telling us. This happened on Christmas, and it’s a whole damn new year and you’re just now telling us you’re engaged.” Okay, I may have waited two weeks to actually gain the courage to tell someone that I had asked Athena to marry me, but it wasn’t like I was ashamed. I was just scared of other people’s reaction. I didn’t want anyone to think that I was ‘soft’ or ‘weak.’ “If you’re happy then I’m happy. I just don’t want you rushing things and I don’t want you or Athena to get hurt. Just make sure you’re ready before you get actually married.”

-

“Still can’t believe you’re engaged,” Harper said as we walked against the cold Chicago wind. “I mean, I’m happy for you but at the same time I’m a bit worried.” The girl opened the door for me and I walked into the ice cream parlor. She walked in behind me and got out her wallet. I had won a bet that I could persuade more callers to buy our antivirus program than she could before lunch break, so now she had to buy me ice cream. We walked up to the counter and ordered our ice cream from the guy behind it. “Did you really have to get extra sprinkles? I’m on a budget,” she joked as she looked into her wallet.

I giggled and pushed her shoulder. “You definitely have more money than me,” I pointed out as I took the ice cream from the guy behind the counter. Harper got hers as well, and thanked the guy before we found a place to sit. “And don’t worry about me. Some engagements last ten years. We have plenty of time to make sure that this is what we both want. It’s not like we’re rushing anything.”

“And the move to Florida?”

“We haven’t talked much about that since Florida, so I’m not sure. If we do move, I’ll make sure that we still keep in touch,” I told Harper. She shook her head at me as she inserted a spoonful of ice cream in her mouth. “You know, I think you need a girlfriend. What’s your type?” Harper quirked up a brow at me before laughing a bit to herself. “What?”

Harper shook her head before shrugging her shoulders. “Honestly, you’re my type,” she admitted. “Smart, classy, faithful, genuine, kind and beautiful.” I bit my lower lip as a blush fell onto my cheeks. My body began feeling all hot as if I was embarrassed, but I wasn’t embarrassed; I was actually flattered. “I would rather me marry you than Kai, but the bad girls always win, don’t they?”