✰ 18

The next day I walked down the stairs after getting dressed. It was Sunday, the day that I usually lay back and do absolutely nothing. I had promised Kai that I would be with her when she got her tattoo, but that was the only thing that I was planning on doing. When I got to the end of the staircase, I came to a stop. In my living room, a group of people were holding hands and looking down at the ground. Someone loudly spoke as everyone else was completely quiet. Some people rocked side to side and mumbled every couple of seconds. Soon, the person said, “Amen,” and the people departed. Lauren was the only person in the group of a fair skin color. I scrunched up my eyebrows trying to figure out what in the hell was going on. “Now, if you’d turn in your Bibles to John 3:16.”

“Amen, Sister Lorene,” Lauren said as she flipped the pages in her Bible. I saw her lean over someone’s shoulder and whisper, “What page number?” The person politely guided her to the page the scripture was on. I debated on whether I should go back upstairs, and avoid the people; but then I realized that I paid the bills around here and that the house was practically mine. I could do anything I wanted to and go in any room I wanted to. I stepped inside the living room, and Lauren turned towards me. She motioned for me to join her group but I shook my head and motioned for her to meet me in the kitchen. She sighed, but followed me into the archway of the kitchen. “Sorry. I was planning on going to church, but it seems like the church came to me.” What the hell did that even mean?

“Get those people out of here!”

“Why? Are you afraid of them because they’re black? We had this conversation, Athena. We’re all black. You have to embrace it.” Lauren reached around and patted my back as she motioned her hand out to the group. “Sister Lorene is about to give a sermon. Why don’t you come and sit with us? Afterwards, we’ll sing a negro spiritual to pay homage to our fellow ancestors.” Not a single crack of a smile spread across my face as I stared at Lauren. “I take that as a no.” She said before rushing back into the living room. I sighed. It was way too early in the morning for this. Maybe if she brought her company over after 11 A.M., I’d be more compliant to joining. Opening the fridge, I pulled out a carton of almost empty orange juice. I sighed once again. I needed to go grocery shopping.

“Um, why are a bunch of old black ladies and Lauren singing Kumbaya in our living room,” Ryker asked as he jogged down the staircase into the kitchen.

“Your guess is as good as mine,” I replied before I began to pour myself a glass of orange juice. Before anything could come out, Ryker snatched the carton from my hand and began chugging it down. I stared at him with awe as he continued to gulp until all the contents were full. He then stared at me with his dark eyes and burped. A small smile appeared on his face as he began reaching into the hidden stash.

“Don’t worry. I’ll go pick up some groceries later,” he said before pulling out a few twenty dollar bills. “What do we need? Orange juice, obviously.”

“Milk, cereal, bread, juice for Matty, water, and if we have anything left you can get some snacks and beers.” The boy nodded before sticking the bills in his tattered leather jacket.

“I’ll get it as soon as I get finished fucking this Spanish chick.” I rolled my eyes as I watched Ryker walk towards the door. “Oh papi! Te amo! Me gusta,” the boy said in a horrible, high-pitched Spanish accent. I chuckled as he walked out of the door, and turned to look in the fridge for something to eat for breakfast. There were two eggs in the carton so I decided to scramble them. Hopefully, no one else would ask for any.

By the time, I started cooking someone else was walking down the steps. The footsteps were heavy and sluggish. “How’s my beautiful daughter,” Dad asked as he began walking towards me. I rolled my eyes at him and continued preparing the eggs. “That’s no way to treat your father. I’ve done so much for you and the rest of these kids. I’ve fed you. I took you to the doctor. I’m the reason this place is still holding up.” I sighed as I scraped the finished eggs onto a plate. Dad took it and grabbed a fork.