✰ 49

After our day at the beach, Athena and I headed back home to get ready for dinner. I was ready to take her to one of my favorite restaurants in Tampa. It was higher-class, and where all the fancy politicians and government officials went. It was typically a place where a drug lord wouldn’t want to go, but I enjoyed it. I liked watching just how the snooty people ate their food and enjoyed the extra care the waitresses and waiters gave everyone. Since, it was a five-star restaurant nearly everything was a ‘yes.’ You could ask the host for anything, and they would try their best to give it to you. I heard CEOs of companies demand the dumbest things at the top of their voice, just so people could hear and notice how superior they were. Their server would scurry off to give them what they wanted, and they’d laugh as if they were at a comedy show rather than a restaurant. When I came to the restaurant, although, I treated the servers with respect because I didn’t want a dimwit to spit in my food or anything foul as such. I just enjoyed the ambience, the fancy sculptures, the old, but still intact artwork and the quality of the food.

As I got ready in the bathroom, I could hear Athena in the bedroom talking to her siblings over the phone. After the beach, I had let her go out and pick something to wear for the night. Once again, I wasn’t able to see the attire she brought. She made me get dressed in the bathroom so I couldn’t see her, and she instructed me not to come out until she told me to. To make sure I didn’t get out of the bathroom, she had pushed an object in front of the door. I’m not sure what the object was, but it sounded pretty sturdy. I even tried to open the door a couple of times but I never succeeded in getting it opened. Over the phone, I could hear her yelling at Trystan. If I was understanding everything correctly, he put a lizard down Sage’s pants. I was surprised Athena was so upset about it. It was understood that she didn’t like Sage, but maybe this trip just had her in a better mood. Maybe after this, she would go back home and actually give Sage a chance. If I was to move her, her family, and even her friends out to Tampa, I sure wasn’t leaving Sage behind. Her father could stay behind and drink himself to death, but I wasn’t going to leave Sage alone to deal with that by herself.

I heard Athena say goodbye to the kids on the phone and then I heard her shuffling around the room. I could hear her heels clicking against the wooden floor. “I’ll be ready soon, baby,” she promised. I wasn’t sure when ‘soon’ was, but I had a feeling that it was going to be at least twenty minutes. I wanted to see what Athena had bought. She teased me enough to let me know that what she bought wasn’t a dress, but she refused to tell me the color, or the fabric details or how much the clothes covered her body.  She said that I would figure all of that out once I was ready, which wasn’t fair. Athena got a peek at what I was wearing, so I should have at least got a peek at what she was putting on. I don’t know why I wanted to know what she was wearing so badly. If anything she would look a hundred times better than any woman surrounding her and she was sure to catch long glares. She could wear a terrible outfit that looked like rags from ancient times and still shit on any woman, including me. The way she carried herself with confidence, but not in an arrogant or slutty way made other women envy her, which was understandable. If Athena wasn’t interested in me, and didn’t give me the time of day, I would hate her, too, but lucky for me I was able to catch her attention and keep her, despite my constant terrible behavior.

As soon as I sprinkled on my Marc Jacobs fragrance, and looked into the mirror to look over my outfit, there was a loud sound in front of the door. It sounded like Athena was moving whatever she put in front of the door, and I assumed that she was ready. I turned towards the door and reached for the knob. “Are you ready,” she asked from the other side.

“Yeah,” I said as I reached to open the door. The door swung open before I could even grab the knob. I finally was able to bestow my eyes on what Athena was wearing. All the hype she built up, and all the anticipation she gave me for her outfit was definitely worth it. She looked beyond stunning in the knitted crop top and skirt. Her stomach was revealed and so was most of her legs. It was more of a party outfit than a five-star restaurant one, but I couldn’t give less of a fuck. I mean, I was standing in front of her in a white, short-sleeved Marc Jacobs shirt with motorcycles all over it. I looked like a six year old compared to her. The way her body glowed and nearly fucking sparkled left me speechless, and breathless. For a couple of seconds, I literally forgot to breathe. I didn’t even attempt to speak or breathe until I heard her call my name as if to get my attention. “Wha’,” I said as I blinked my eyes a couple of times.