✰ 51

Kai's uncle stared at both Kai and I. His stare was mostly on the injured girl. He seemed disgusted by her. You could really feel the hatred that they had for each other. The man's wife stood behind him with a neutral look on her face. I wondered why they were even in the emergency room. "Is my grandmother okay," Kai asked as she wrapped her arm around my shoulder. Kai's uncle scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Do you have a problem with me and my girlfriend?"

"Your grandmother is fine. It's my son who's sick. Well, he's not sick. He actually got shot. He got shot by a couple of gangsters that's just like you," the man said as he stepped up in Kai's face. Kai removed her arm from around my shoulder. The whole emergency room was now engaged at the middle-aged man and the injured girl's hatred for each other. "Gangsters who will never amount to shit." He pushed both of Kai's shoulders and she groaned as she stumbled back. That's when I stepped up. He wasn't just going to touch my girlfriend like that, especially when she was just shot and already in pain. He chuckled at me as I stepped in front of Kai. "This is between me and my no good niece."

"Step back, Athena," Kai said as she moved me out of the way. She then got back in her uncle's face. "Why do you have such a problem with me?"

"I think you fucking know why," he said as he peered down into the girl's eyes. "You know exactly fucking why, and I don't' think you want me to tell you why in public." Suddenly, Kai's tough character changed and she stepped back from the man. "That's what I thought. You don't want anyone to know, do you?" Kai and the man stared at each other for a long time without any words. It was like they were communicating through their eyes. I wasn't sure exactly what the conversation was about, but it seemed intense.

"I'm moving here and I'm taking my grandmother away from you," Kai said. "I bet she wish she got a fucking abortion."

"Your mom tried to abort you, but we all see how that went. You turned out a little fucked up in the head, didn't you?" Kai clenched her fists. "Sensitive subject? You should've seen how hard your mother cried when she found out she was pregnant with you. She cried twice as hard when she found out the abortion failed. I knew you were fucked up from the start. You proved me right." Suddenly, Kai's uncle looked towards me. "Do you know how her parents died?" I looked away from the man. I did want to know how Kai’s parents passed away but not from him. I’d rather for Kai tell me personally when she was good and ready. Kai tensed up. "I'll retell the story if you've heard. When Kai was seven years old, she thought it would be interesting to lie to her mother. She told her mother that her father was fucking the next-door neighbor. The only reason she told her mother that was because she was angry at her father for not taking her to the movies." The man chuckled darkly. "You're such a fuck-up, Kai. You'll always be one. No matter what, no matter how much money you have, you'll always be a depressed lowlife. You put my sister through so much shit when she was alive. The school suspensions, and the terrorizing the neighborhood, everyone knew you'd be a lost cause. Everyone except my mother, God bless her soul." The man took a deep breath before continuing, "Anyways, like I was saying, Kai thought it would be okay to lie to her mother about her father being unfaithful. My dear sister had issues with trust in the first place and she wasn't exactly all there. With the news of her so-called cheating husband, my sister slit her husband's throat that very night right before hanging herself in the middle of the kitchen. Of course, Kai woke up the next morning to discover them."

I stood there in shock with everything that I had just heard. That couldn't have happened. I refused to believe that all of that happened. When I looked over to Kai, tears were streaming down her face. "Well, there you have it, Athena. That's my life story. Thank you, for that, uncle." No wonder Kai never talked about her parents. I bet she had to picture finding them like that every day. Sometimes, I would even catch flashbacks of finding my mother on the cold bathroom floor. But she experienced seeing both of her parent's dead, gruesomely.