✰ 25

After getting a call from Ryker early Sunday morning, my heart was racing. Supposedly, Athena didn’t come home last night and no one knew where she was. She wouldn’t answer her phone for me or anyone else. I was beginning to worry if she was okay. The kids said that they’ve been searching for her all morning, but couldn’t find her. Everyone was worried. When I arrived to the house, everybody was sitting around in the living room. “Any luck,” I asked, and I received nothing but head shakes. My stomach turned a little when I saw their faces. Not only were the Buffs back, but my girlfriend was missing. What if they had something to do with it? What if someone hurt Athena because of me? “Fuck,” I mumbled as I sat down on the arm of the chair.

“Something is wrong. I can feel it,” Noa said in a quiet manner. “She’s been my best friend for nearly my whole life. I know when something is wrong with her. We need to find her.” I nodded in agreement. “We checked the restaurant, we called Kat and Jasmine, we even got in contact with that Harper girl, but we don’t have any leads.”

“Maybe she’s hurt,” Alec said as he looked up from his hands. “Maybe she’s in the hospital? We can call and see if Athena is in there.”

“That’s a good idea,” I said before pulling out my phone. After a while of Googling, I got the phone number of the closest hospital. I put the phone on speaker for everyone to hear. “Hey, do you guys have an Athena Merrick in the system?” There was a long pause, and all we could hear were keyboard clicks. I wanted Athena to be unharmed and safe, but for some reason I wanted the hospital to say that she was there. Just so I could know for sure that she was alive and breathing.

“No Athena Merrick,” the woman said after a while. “If you’re looking for someone, you can come up to the hospital and show us some pictures of whoever you’re looking for. With the right information, we can see if we have them admitted or not. We got a couple Jane Doe’s last night. She could be one.” I thanked the woman, and hung up the phone. Everyone instantly began putting on their coats for our trip to the hospital.

We all piled into my Range Rover and headed towards the sickbay. It wasn’t even known that Athena was going to be at the hospital, but we hoped that she was. When we arrived, we walked up to the front desk. “Hey, yo,” Ryker called out to the woman behind the desk. The woman gave Ryker a confused look. “My sister went missing last night. We don’t know if she’s here or not, but here’s a picture. Have you seen her?” Ryker showed the woman a picture on his phone of Athena.

“I’m sorry, but I just clocked in. I wouldn’t know if she was here or not. Do you know what time she may have gone missing?” The nurse seemed to be empathetic, but I could tell she really couldn’t help us.

“She got off her shift at ten,” Noa said. “That’s’ all the information we have.” The woman turned to the computer and began clicking and typing hurriedly as we all waited as patiently as we could.

“Jane Doe at 2 AM. She could be it. The doctor that operated on her is here. Have a seat and wait for him to come out to see if she’s a match,” the woman said before picking up a telephone.

“Operated on her,” Noa asked fearfully as we sat down in the waiting area.

“We don’t know if it’s her or not,” Lauren pointed out. “For all we know, Athena could be having the time of her life. Right now, she could be in Africa doing a tribal dance, or she could be in Mexico with a sombrero on. Maybe Athena’s not missing, maybe the apocalypse happened. Maybe God took her to Heaven and we didn’t get to go because we’re all assholes. Oh my God! Am I going to Hell!?”

“I highly doubt any of that happened, Lauren,” Felix reassured with a bit of a laugh. “Why would Athena go to Africa? I mean, that’s like asking for Ebola. Why would she go to Mexico? She doesn’t like Mexican food. And if the apocalypse did happen, it would be way more dramatic than all of this.”