5. Veritaserum

1999

1999

Astoria awoke the next morning with her stomach in knots and her head clouded by memories. She slid off the bed and her feet touched the cold hardwood floor of the manor. It took her a few seconds to remember she was no longer at home; she was inside the house of her betrothed. Astoria fiddled with the emerald necklace around her neck and just as she was about to playback the memory hidden within the jewel her owl flew in from the window barring a letter.

My Darling girl,

I hope you are adjusting to your new surroundings. I know this a trying time for you, given the circumstances, but I have all the faith in you that you will fulfill your duties. The Malfoy's were in high ranks with the Dark Lord and a marriage with their son will ensure your future in society.

Your mother
Eloise

After Astoria read the letter, she immediately tossed it into the fireplace. It is too dangerous for prying eyes to read the letters she receives. She heard a figure approaching her door, followed by a series of faint knocks.

"Miss. Greengrass? Have you risen? May I come in please?"

Astoria realized it was Narcissa and she scurried over to her dresser and placed a white robe around her body to cover her night dress.

Astoria approached the door, turned the knob, and revealed Narcissa's hopeful eyes.

"Good morning Mrs. Malfoy. How are you on this fine morning?" Astoria signaled for Narcissa to come in and take a seat across from her at the fireplace.

"I am quite fine dear thank you, and please, you are to be my future daughter-in law call me Narcissa."

"I was always taught by my mother, until a girl is married, she must not address her future mother-in-law by her name, but if you insist I shall abide. I would also prefer if you called me Astoria. Soon I will no longer be a Greengrass, so my first name is sufficient." Astoria sipped her tea the house elf dropped off for the two ladies and suddenly the air became stale. There seem to be a touch of tension.

Narcissa leaned in further to confide with the young blond sitting across from her.

"Allow me to apologize on behalf of my son. He has not been adjusting well to the news. I do not understand why he is so adamant about not being married, but since the arrangement is done, there is nothing more can say about it."

Narcissa looked down with a guilty facial expression because she was lying. Astoria knew why Draco did not want to marry her. It was not because he had reserved thoughts about marriage but rather reserved about marrying Astoria.

"If you would pardon me Narcissa I think I shall prepare myself for the day." Astoria sad while setting the tea cup down and rising from the armchair. Narcissus following her example.