56. The Ring

1999

1999

Astoria stood in silence as this drunken man lay his head on her shoulder. The feeling of his body pressed against hers was enticing and it felt bloody amazing. However, she was at a loss for words for how she was feeling. If she could list out everything, she knew to be true it would go in this order.

Draco cheated on her in their sixth year with Hermione Granger, a mudblood whore. Fact. Astoria had never felt the kind of love she felt for Draco Malfoy again. Fact. Draco and Astoria were to be married in a matter of months. Fact. The marriage was Astoria's idea. Fact. Draco would never fall back into love with Astoria again while Granger walks the Earth. Fucking fact.

Astoria hesitated before she raked her fingers through Draco's soft hair. For a moment she thought he was reaching up to touch her lower back, but he quickly receded. After moments of slow breaths, and soft embraces. Astoria slowly lifted Draco's head and peered into his grey eyes. When she looked into his eyes, they were not the same as they once were. Something was different, off even. Why was it when he looked at her, she felt a liar stared back at her?

"Why don't I help you to bed? Huh?" Astoria inquired while linking her arm with his.

Draco nodded and they began to walk down the cold, uninviting hallway of the Manor. Astoria felt the wonderous eyes of the Malfoy family portraits burning through her with every step she took.

Astoria pushed open Draco's door and laid him on his bed. As she was walking out, in his drunken state, he spoke lowly.

"Wha-why isss-is it that when I think about you—you I hate you--, but when I touch you—I feel comfort...?"

Astoria stopped herself in her tracks and was utterly speechless. It was not quite a compliment that escaped Draco's lips, but a strange inquiry. Was he asking her that question or himself? It had been the first decent statement Draco has made toward Astoria since her arrival. The fire whiskey must have had an intense effect for him to be speaking such nonsense.

Astoria had her hand on the doorknob at this very moment she could escape this moment and not think about it again. Put it to the back of her mind as if Draco had never said a word. This gorgeous man was in a drunken state and surely, he would not remember an ounce of tonight. Astoria took this opportunity and seized it to express herself without judgement.

"When I think about you all I feel is tenderness, but when I look at you..." She hesitated and found the strength to speak the truth. "...all I see is treachery."

She gripped onto the doorknob and kept trying to turn it, but her mind was disabling her. She had no choice but to look at Draco once more before she fled the scene. As she turned around this young wizard had his head in his hands and looked utterly distressed. It must have been the fact that she was engaged to Draco that she strode over and knelt before him.

Draco looked down at her with a cold expression and she laid a hand on his knee. "I know... this is not what you hoped for in life... but bear with me." Astoria stood, and turned around before him. She lifted her hair slowly to expose the runic imprint on her neck. "I am inhibited." She turned and slowly exposed Draco's forearm to show the skull of the Dark Mark that glowed on his pale skin. "You are tethered."