49. Photographs

1997

1997

Malfoy Manor was cold, unwelcoming and was surrounded by dark artifacts. Lucius Malfoy was an avid collector but has been forced by the Ministry of Magic to sell his more, unlawful artifacts. Astoria took note of a particular statue that stood in the corner of the formal dining room. The statue took the form of different people, one day it was a beautiful woman, the next a famous wizard. Astoria found the statue interesting and sometimes she felt it staring at her.

"Astoria? Astoria are you with us?" Severus inquired.

Astoria snapped out of her daze and became apart of the High Council discussion once more. Today the council was discussing when the assassination of Dumbledore was going to commence. Every time they discussed Dumbledore her thoughts shot to Draco. She imagined him performing his task and seeing the look of horror on his face. Astoria feared that Draco would be too light-hearted to perform what he was chosen to do.

"Apologies. I drifted for a bit, erm – I have a matter that should not be overlooked. Draco's safety, for one. Once he performs his task the Ministry will be on the search for him. Here, will be the first place they search." Astoria said while sounding worried.

She feared that the council was not thinking about the aftereffects for Draco Malfoy once he killed Albus Dumbledore. Dumbledore is named the most powerful, wise, and important wizard in the world. The Ministry of Magic was not going to let Draco run free all over Britain after committing murder.

"If I may, my Lord, perhaps after the task is complete, Draco should join Astoria in Italy? Italy is under the protection of the Italian Minister and in Italy the children will be safe." Narcissa stated hesitantly while glaring at Astoria.

Astoria felt her stomach hit the floor. The last person she wanted to see was Draco, but at the same time, he was the first person she wanted to embrace her. Part of Astoria hoped the council would agree with Narcissa and Draco would be ordered to go into hiding with Astoria. The other part of her wanted to curse anyone who suggested putting Draco in the same room as her. Lord Voldemort's face turned cold, and his eyes shot to Astoria.

"My dear, how does this plan sound to you?" Voldemort inquired while petting Nagini's head.

The Dark Lord was leaving the decision up to Astoria. She desperately wanted to jump at the offer and have Draco shack up with her until they were called back to Britain, but her head speaks louder than her heart. Astoria's heart was still in pieces, and Draco tore every ounce of emotion from her the day he betrayed her.

"If it please you, my Lord, I suggest Draco go into hiding in France. Paris perhaps? I know for a fact that Paris is inhabited by mainly muggles, and there should be no issues with the French Ministry. My family owns an apartment, and it is perfect to accompany one person." Astoria said lowly.

Voldemort pondering his thoughts and stroking the snake, came to a unanimous decision. After the task was finished Draco would be whisked away to Paris until it was safe for him to return to Britain. Astoria felt a weight lift off her chest and she could breathe a little easier, but she noticed Narcissa's face fall at Voldemort's decision. Astoria felt bad that she declined the idea of having Draco accompany her to Italy, but it was too soon. The wounds in her heart still bled.