22. Break Up

Late at night, Remus arrived at Hogwarts.

He landed in front of Hagrid's hut. Tied buckbeak on a low fence by a pumpkin patch.

He knocked Hagrid's front door. He had to knock again. Then a light in the cabin turned on. 'Who is it?', asked Hagrid.

'Remus Lupin.'

Hagrid opened the door quickly. He was surprised and delighted, especially seeing Buckbeak by the pumpkin patch.

'Blimey! Yer early! Thought ye're gonna arrive later mornin'! Ye look dredful, Remus! Come inside!'

Remus got in. Hagrid propped a chair for him and brewed a cup of tea.

Remus sat down.

'Ye mus be tired Travellin' with Buckbeak. Or I may say Witherwings from now on. Dumbledore's order.'

'Witherwings?'

'Yea, to preven' himself from execution! Buckbeak should've died, ye know. But no, aye will not hav it!'

Remus felt better to drink the hot tea. He did not complain about the earthy taste to it.

'Wha'ts tha'?', asked Hagrid to a framed mirror Remus was holding onto.

'Oh... this, I just want to hold onto something... of Sirius.'

'Why? What happened? Tel' me, Remus... How's Arry? He and others're alrigh'?'

Remus sighed. 'Brace yourself, Hargrid...', said Remus. It felt tedious to tell him. It was like telling a nightmare he had. But he had to tell him.

Hagrid was in disbelief. He was angry and sad.

'Sirius Black... he... he's ded?', muttered Hagrid. Remus nodded sadly, staring at the floor. 'I'm sorry ter hear' tha'...'

'It's alright... I must go now, Hagrid.'

'How abou' we go to a pub. At Abe's. Think you need it. I need it too.'

Remus thought for a moment. Then he agreed.

Hagrid accompanied Remus away to Hogsmeade. Arrived at Hog's Head Inn. They settled themselves in the highchairs at the bar. Abe came over from behind the counter to take their orders.

'Firewhiskies, Abe. Make i' double.', said Hagrid, sadly.

Abe got two big glass shots and filled them with firewhiskey. 'Anything you guys want to talk about?'

Abe waited for Remus to speak, but he seemed to not find any words to tell him. 'Uh... it's.'

'It's alrigh' then, I'll tell im.', said Hagrid, patted the back of Remus, hard. Remus was pushed to the front, he chuckled as he held himself from knocking onto the bar counter.

Hagrid started telling Aberforth. Occasionally, Remus had to cough when Hagrid accidentally spoke Sirius by the name itself.

Abe was bemused. When he learned that Sirius was dead, his expression changed. He looked at each of them. He poured another firewhiskey. He also got another glass for himself. 'It's on the house... sorry for your loss, Remus.'

'No, it's alright. And he was friends to the two of you as well. It is not just I who should get apologized to. I'm sorry too, for us...', he took his glass and raised it, 'cheers.'

Abe and Hagrid raised theirs and cheered on it. They drank together.

'What's that?', asked Abe. He looked at a framed mirror on the bar counter, in front of Remus.

'It's just a framed glass to see one another... Sirius thought he might get a piece of it and gave it to Harry, so he could see him when he carries it... but it doesn't work... Harry never nring it with him.'