64. Grief

Remus arrived at Lee Jordan's home. He knocked on the house. Checked by Jordan's parents before they were sure he was really himself. Remus greeted them when he was inside.

The Weasley twins were there. They hung out with Jordan as usual. The three of them hung out in the bedroom, ready to do the usual radio program.

Remus greeted them.

They were happy to see him. They asked of things that Remus had observed in the public. Was there any protests against Death Eaters? Were there riots? Did any Wizarding places get reclaimed by the people? Remus would tell them what he saw, which it will be spoken to the broadcast as well.

They waited for Kingsley to arrive.

In 20 minutes, they had to go live. Yet they would still continue without Kingsley if he wasn't here.

Eventually, Kingsley arrived 30 seconds before they go on air. His face was grave, and he kept glancing at Remus when he greeted everyone. He had a list of names on a piece of paper in his hands, which meant that he had found: dead, missing, or found people. Though mostly there were only deaths to announce.

Remus and Kingsley waited for their segment. They stood by the open door.

Kingsley whispered to him, 'Remus... forgive me... I found him... Ted Tonks.' Remus' eyes widened in surprise. 'But I'm afraid... you have to accept that he's gone...'

'What-', Remus spoke. Lee Jordan stared at him and gestured him to keep quiet, index finger diagonally on his lips. Then he put his hand down to focus on air.

'Good afternoon everyone!...', started Lee Jordan enthusiastically to his microphone.

Remus looked at Kingsley for a moment. He did not think he would find out that Ted was dead.

All this time, he kept reassuring Andromeda and Dora that Ted will be okay. He kept it positive and was sure that Ted could take care of himself.

Remus wanted to ask Kingsley about him, but the radio was live. He could not interrupt it.

He turned around toward the open door. He squeezed Kingsley's shoulder and walked away. Kingsley stared at him in sympathy. He did not interrupt Remus.

Remus heard Jordan talk to the microphone. Jordan had started reading the list of people, which surprisingly there was only a few today. But still, Jordan spoke the damned names and it hurt.

Ted Tonks was on the few list of today. Remus crouched down to the floor. The pain was numbing.

He was upset that he couldn't warn Dora. He didn't want her to listen to Potterwatch for this. He was sure that she and Andromeda were listening right now.

Remus will not be thrilled to face Dora and Andromeda this evening.

Remus did not notice that Fred, George, Lee, and Kingsley glanced at him when Ted Tonks was mentioned. It was awkward, but Jordan hid it well in his professional tone.

Remus stared to the floor. The wooden texture seemed to interest him. He had only seconds of moment to try to compose himself. He had to join his part. For a better world, he thought.

'For a better world.', muttered Remus quietly, reminding himself that he was doing all of this for Dora and his future child.

There was a moment of silence, in memoriam of today's loss. Somehow it was extra eerie for Remus, as this was a memoriam for Ted as well as the others.

Kingsley had stepped in to the segment. It was supposed to be filled with Remus. But Kingsley let himself start alone.

Kingsley, Lee, Fred, and George did not want to pressure Remus to do it today. They knew Ted had been his top priority to find. Sadly, in a way how no one wanted to find out.