65. Labour

Dora kept wheezing in pain. It started from her lower abdomen. Then it travelled all over her body like a thunder.

Her extreme discomfort started in a brink of dawn. Sharp pains welcomed her in sudden ceremony.

Remus was awakened, she was shaking him. He was confused when he saw her breathing heavily through her mouth.

'I... I think the baby's coming... I'm having contractions!', said Dora, grasping for air.

Remus was in panic and held her back body up. He positioned her so that she could breathe easily. She thanked him.

'A contr- what? Wait the baby's coming now?!', asked Remus in fright.

'I don't know... my water hadn't broken yet.'

She was escorted to the living room. She kept sitting and standing up. Either one of it made her uncomfortable. She walked small steps to lessen the ache on her hips. She kept breathing through her mouth to ease her tension.

Andromeda was awoken from the sounds. She got her crochet wool blanket, wrapped around her and went out of her bedroom. She found Dora was walking some little steps and Remus was helping her worriedly.

'What are you two doing in such an early morning?', asked Andromeda, irritatedly.

'I think the baby's coming.', said Remus in tension.

'Oh.', spoke Andromeda. It had been awhile since she had a happy anticipation.

'I think so... but my water hadn't broken yet.', said Dora uncomfortably.

'Oh it's gonna be one hell of a ride, Dora...' Said Andromeda. 'You haven't experienced the real labour yet... You're only having contractions. You're getting ready... In the meantime, I'll make you some potions for when you are in labour... it's for strength and pain relief.'

Andromeda went away to the kitchen.

'I think getting stabbed feels better than what this labour will feel like...', said Dora to Remus. 'This alone is... you can't imagine it.'

Remus was white faced. 'N-no... don't say that.'

After awhile, Dora asked her husband for some food. Remus got up. He did not even remember hunger when seeing her act restless for the upcoming baby.

Remus saw Andromeda was brewing potions in two small cauldrons. He asked her if it was actually alright to give those potions to a pregnant woman.

Andromeda looked at him unamusedly, before she focused back to her brew. 'It's perfectly fine. She drinks it for her own good, not for the baby which will be coming out any minute now.'

'M-minute?', asked Remus in panic.

'Maybe in hours... some cases it can take days... we can't predict when the baby is ready to come out.'

'A-alright... interesting... I'll- I'll make her some breakfast now.', said Remus. He grabbed some breads and jams. He took a butter knife. He applied some jams to the bread. He put it on a plate and went to give it to Dora.

'You're not eating too?', asked Dora as she munched on her jam sandwich.

'No, I'm not hungry.', said Remus.

Dora extended her sandwich in front of his face. 'Eat.', she said jokingly. 'I want you to stay alive to see the baby.'

Remus chuckled and took a bite of her sandwich.

With sandwich in her hand, she wobbled to the kitchen. She saw her mum, making the potions.

Remus followed behind. 'Perhaps you should lay down on the bed...', spoke Remus.