27. Train

Days before the aurors picked up Harry and the others, Tonks stayed around. She was at the distance of the Burrow. Near the thick lush plants. She slept every four hours every morning.

She really wanted to come inside and join them, but she got an order from Scrimgeour to stay around secretly in the distance. He demanded it, this was out of the agreement, but he pulled out the threat, so she had to do it. Follow or get sacked.

The house looked so cozy with the warm lights in the house at night.

One weekend night, Remus and Mad-Eye arrived near the Burrow. Molly and Arthur greeted them at the front door.

Tonks was annoyed to see Remus inside. He was having warm meals, while she had to spend her time on top of a tree branch. It was cold and had a lot of mosquitos. She had to enchant herself to get rid of them.

Sometimes she could see glimpses of Remus by a window at the kitchen. He looked well. At least she knew he was not starving to death.

Just then, Remus walked out from the house through the back door. He walked around the garden, holding onto something that Tonks couldn't see. Then he rummaged his free hand into his pocket. He took out a wand and casted a patronus. It glided quickly toward her.

If you're wondering, I'm fine. I hope you're fine as well.

It flew straight into her chest like a bullet, but it didn't hurt. The patronus felt warm.

Remus waved at her, learned she was there. In irritation, she got down from the tree and went to meet Remus.

He smiled to her when they met. His eyes didn't look directly at her. 'Hello Tonks.', said Remus.

'Hi...', she replied. She wasn't feeling up to meet him. She prefered being up at the tree.

Remus looked at her up and down. He noticed how thin she was. Her hair was mousy, it made her seem a bit pale or sick. He looked at the thing he was holding. A sandwich. He extended it to her. 'Care for a sandwich? An offer.'

Tonks took it from his hand. She thanked him awkwardly.

'Let's sit down on that tree.', said Remus.

She followed him to the tree he pointed out. They sat down, leaning on the tree. Tonks ate the sandwich.

'Why did you cast the patronus, did you know I'm here?'

'Well, Molly told me you visited. She told me you were working under Scrimgeour now... And Harry's here. Just a hunch.'

'Why did you cast a patronus?'

'I just... I don't know.'

Tonks and Remus felt awkward. The last time they saw each other, it was that night they broke up.

'I thought you're not supposed to be around here until you convinvce the werewolves go to our side.'

'Yes... but things have been difficult... did you know that the Ministry had been looking for this location as well?'

'I... I didn't know about that.', said Tonks.

'It makes my job a little bit difficult. I needed Mad-eye to help get things around.'

'That's troubling... How are you holding on? And what about full moons?'

Remus was quite displeased. 'Just so and so... I've been locking myself up at the Safehouse when I could... I miss having you and Sirius around to help me.'

Tonks gave him a weak smile. But quite unsure of his intetion in saying it.

'Anyways it's Harry's birthday on July. He's turning 16 this year.'