Chapter 24

Kalki

He said he loves me

He is in love with me

Khavin loves me ??

I looked at him with doubt

Does he really love me??

I started walking to and fro in the grass, but still feeling restless I started to sit down on the grass, taking my shoes off. I seriously didn't care about the dusty surface or ants or mosquitos. All I care about is thinking.

Khavin stopped me, he literally removed his stylish and costly coat and spread it on the grass. I looked at him with wonder. He just smiled and made me sit on that.

Khavin: You look gorgeous in that saree Kalki, I dint want you to ruin that dress by sitting on the grass.

Me: That was a costly coat

Khavin: It was, but you are far more valuable to me, actually you are very precious to me.

Me: Are you really sure?

Khavin: About what?

Me: About the part where you said you love me

Khavin: I didn't say I loved you, I said I love you, it's present tense

I fake glared at me and he stopped grinning

Khavin: Kalki, since that day where you walked into my life I have always felt a warm solace when you were around. Though I have acted like an asshole in the beginning because I was reluctant for the sudden change in my boring life, you yourself unlocked something in me and now I can't help it

He slowly caressed my cold cheek with his fingers. His gesture bought a hint of pink color on my skin because now I was blushing like a teenager.

I was recollecting his confession again and he sat there without interrupting my thoughts for a while.

Khavin: You know I could give you 1000 bucks to know what are you thinking about. I am curious to know what is going on in the pretty head of yours.

Me: I never did relationships before Khavin, I was busy making my career, I have locked up all the diversions and distractions deep inside me. I don't do short-term dating because that is who I am. Look, I love you, I really do but the question is do we love each other enough to want to hold a long-term relationship where we get married and all. Because, if we don't see the end of it then what is the point to be in a short-term relationship without any outcome?

Khavin: I just said I love you Kalki, after putting in efforts to prove myself, after overcoming my own insecurities. Do you think I would casually say something which could change our lives?

Me: It's not about that Khavin, think about this in this way, I don't doubt your love for me and all but is this the right time? 

Khavin: I dont understand what are you saying 

Me: Khavin, I love you but I worked hard for my career, I recently got an American client. He is an Indian but he is a permanent resident there. He was my mentor when I was in college, he was born there, he was in my field, our college invited him as a guest lecturer. As he has observed me in college, he took a keen interest in me. He has carefully observed my work and he wants me to work with him in his institute. It is a wonderful package Khavin, something which I always wanted. I fell in love with you on the job and everything, but I'm wondering if our relationship is really that strong that I could give up the whole deal for a short-term relationship.

Khavin: Who said it is short-term Kalki? We both love each other, are you seriously going to give up all this for an opportunity. If you really desired this career change then why did you fall in love with me and confessed it to me? Did you just want to give me the confession and run away abroad? 

Me: Khavin, I fell in love without knowing anything about it, this offer came along after my confession. That day, the way you left told me a different story, if I stayed here I would be tempted to see you, talk to you and beg you to love me back which would be foolish of me, because I am not that person. So when professor Prasad congratulated me on my recent success story of yours as I have told him about your case details, I asked him if there is anything I can do for him, like an internship or project. He was shocked that I was willing to give up my life in the orphanage because when he offered me before I didn't take it as I loved it here. Now, after my confession the way you left I was embarrassed and took up the first chance to escape. Today, I wanted to see you successful, I wanted to see you make it before I leave in a week. 

I stood up from the ground

Khavin: Wait, you said that was before right? Now I confessed my feelings too, stay Kalki, stay here with me

Me: I know we confessed but what is the future Khavin? It took you a while to overcome your insecurities, which I'm proud that you overcame them. If I reject this offer and what if you cant commit for the long term? Look into my eyes Khavin, I want a long relationship with you, the kind where there is happily ever after's, I don't know if you are ready for that.

Khavin: I love you, it is a fact Kalki, As you said I just overcame my biggest fear, with time I would...

Me: How much time Khavin, 6 months ? 1 year? 2 years? Is there a guarantee that our love would help us pass this tunnel where on the other side there is a happily ever after? What if you cannot? I'll tell you what would have happened by then the intensity of the feelings would have multiplied if we don't make it there is hurt and dispair for both of us. I would never blame you if you cannot commit, ever. But if you give me false hope now and then finally you cannot fulfill it then I would be hurt. Just like you, I have my insecurities, until I know the depth of an ocean I cant be ready to jump in it.

Khavin: Is that it Kalki? We love each other....

I silenced him by pouring out all my love, fears, and insecurities through a hug

Me: I am sorry Khavin, I accepted this offer a week before, I can't say no to this and wait in anticipation of the day when you can commit to a long-term relationship. At the end of the day, I am an Indian girl dreaming about happy endings with the love of her life but I am not going to burden you with all my hopes and dreams. I am not going to pressure you into things. I know how much strength it could have taken you to tell me this but I don't think I want to be a pusher.

Bye Khavin

I slowly pulled myself on my toes and kissed him goodbye, both of us departing in tears.

I am a foolish girl I know but this is the right thing to do

Khavin POV

She walked away from me, she is right it took me a while and it takes me a while for this kind of commitment but why do we have to separate like this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Readers,

How was the twist?

Why do you think Kalki did that?

What do you think Khavin would do now?

Please vote and comment

With Love,

Indu