Chapter 12

Khavin POV

Some moments make us want to hope that it passes off quickly like ripping off a bandage, quick and painful

Some moments make us want to hope that it freezes for a while so that we could take our own mental picture because we find that moment so pure, so beautiful, so satisfying.

Right now sitting in front of our private pond with ducks, a gentle breeze, and a cool atmosphere I can only hope for one thing that I could always remember this moment right up to the small details, I want to remember about the weather, I want to remember the serenity of this moment, I want to remember the beautiful woman in my arms.

Kalki

This is the first time I had seen her like this, vulnerable but the thing which made me happy was she let me see this vulnerability of her's that means I am someone she feels comfortable with, I am someone who she feels close to.

She broke free from the hug realizing our proximity, she pulled her dupatta and wiped off her tears, I know she felt a bit awkward but she does not have to because as a person she is entitled to feel sad and she does not have to feel judged for it.

Kalki: I am Sorry...

Me: No Kalki, you don't have to apologize or feel awkward. You were feeling sad and you had the right to share it or express it with someone. It's okay to shed tears, it makes us feel light and stress-free.

She looked at me talking like she was observing me keenly

Kalki: Khavin, you sat down on this bench by yourself? How did you do that? 

Me: Its, not a rocket science Kalki, I am handicapped but I think I am capable of locking my wheelchair so that it doesn't move, pulling myself up by balancing my weight on the handles, and taking a risk of throwing myself on the bench after that.

She looked at me shocked, she opened her mouth to say something but she closed it again. Did I just make her speechless?

Kalki: You could move without someone's help? Did you try to move and stand on your own legs?

Me: Yes Kalki, you can see me sitting on the bench right?

Kalki: Yes I can see that 

Suddenly she had a proud smile on her face, like a mother who just saw her baby walking for the first time. She still had some tears but with her smile on her face, it did not look like sad tears anymore. It looked like happy tears and I loved seeing her smiling at me proudly.

She got up and started inspecting my legs

Me: Kalki, what are you doing?

Kalki: She started tapping her fingers on my legs pulling up my pajamas until my knees. She had inspected my legs before though it was more formal but now she did it with ease and comfort. Does it pain here Khavin? 

She continued tapping her fingers in some places on my legs like my ankle, my foot near my knees, etc, she asked me if I feel any pain while she is doing that but I replied in negative. 

Kalki: Khavin, when you stood for a few seconds how did you feel? Did you feel any pain?

Me: Kalki I didn't know what I was doing then, all I had on my mind was to make sure you were okay but when I stood on my legs for a few seconds all I felt was that I would fall off and come crashing on the ground if I did not have the handles of my chair to hold on to. My legs felt weak, it felt like I would fall off any minute because I could feel my legs shaking.

Kalki: Khavin can I try something with you? 

Me: What is it?

I felt afraid even when I asked the question because she had a dangerous smile on her face. She never answered that question but she pulled me up and helped me sit on my chair, she started pushing my chair until we reached our car. She asked the driver to help me in and before I knew we were at the hospital we work for. First, she took me through some tests and called the chief of her department. I don't know what she said to him but he gave an encouraging nod to me and asked Kalki to do what she had in mind.

Kalki: Khavin, I asked you if you could let me try something with you right?

Me: Yeah?

Kalki: Now is the time, look all you have to do is trust me okay?

Me: Okay Kalki, I will do it and I know I can trust you.

Kalki: Before we go forward, this is an experiment there are chances it could fail but remember there is always the next time, but if you pass you will make all of us happy, like really happy.

Me: So you would be really happy?

Kalki: It's not only me Khavin, but all your family would also be happy

Me: Okay let's do it

 She stood in front of me and bent down to my level looking into my eyes giving me a silent motivation. She put my hands on her shoulders while she put hers holding mine and pulled me onto my legs. There were other attenders too around me ready to catch us but I wanted to keep my promise to try. 

Her hands were pulling me up from my shoulders like she was picking up to hold a baby, ones she got me to stand on my feet, my hands holding her tight by her shoulders while her hands holding mine.

I looked into her eyes and though my legs felt weak, though I felt I would collapse, I held on to her, she had an encouraging smile, our positions have changed with time, first, when she was picking me she held me like she was picking a baby after I stood on my feet, I snaked my arm through her shoulders and she held me by snaking her arms beneath my shoulders to break my fall if my legs give up.

I felt like I would collapse any second, one second turned to a few more seconds and then my legs gave away, I fell forward on to her shoulders and she stopped my fall. The attenders helped me onto my chair.

Head of the department: You were right Ms.Kalki, Mr.Khavin could indeed stand on his legs, with time, patience, and support he could stand without help and I feel like soon we could maybe see him walking too.

Hearing him I was surprised

I could stand?

I could really walk?

I had the scope since the beginning?

I had a chance since the beginning and I wasted all this time without trying, sitting, and feeling miserable about my sorry ass. Until Kalki came around calling me out on my behavior pushing me to work on myself, now what did it get me?

I can stand up

I can walk again

I can run 

Kalki came in after talking to the doctor and she wiped off the tears I had sitting in front of me. I held her cheek in my palm tenderly like she was the most delicate being.

Me: Thank you Kalki, I really mean it.

Kalki: let's go home Khavin, we have to show your family your latest development

Me: NO

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Readers,

How was the update?

Did you like the sweet moments between them?

I am not a medical student but I know one thing that with proper dedication, care and support any miracles could be possible. What do you think?

Please keep voting and commenting

Regards,

Indu