Chapter 17 Friend

Hui Gai wondered what kind of a look would be suitable to show up with, when speaking with an eight year old. He knew without a doubt, from the reactions he had noticed on people's faces, that he was scary looking. Perhaps no one was brave enough to say as much.

But he knew. So far, only Master Wei had not shown any fear or distaste at his appearance, something he always remembered when seeing his friend. That word by itself, gave him so much courage. Master Wei was his friend, and friends helped each other.

For a long time now, ever since Master Wei had freed him of the curse that tied him to the onyx handles of the sacrificial knife, he had found such freedom. Simply put, there were no barriers left to hold him back.

This change was simultaneously frightening and exciting for himself, and he had yet to explore how far he could go with his new found skills, plus he felt it was too early to tell anyone yet.

Right now, he hated seeing Master Wei upset, worse when he cried. Master Wei was such a selfless person; he would never forget how he had wrapped his own body around the demon to save him from certain death by Dragon breath. Such noble deeds could not be paid back in full ever, but he wanted to believe he could help.

So he thought long and hard about what a child considered 'safe'.

Perhaps a woman? Could he even try that? His disguise attempts so far were male orientated only; he couldn't even imagine being a woman. And then age...young or old? Too young would not inspire trust and may fail the whole mission. Too old....may work. Definitely not middle aged. The woman pretending to be her mother was middle aged, and he was sure she would not feel safe with someone of her age.

Maybe a man would still be a better choice. Perhaps he could make himself look at least a little like his Master Wei. The little girl trusted him...

So he settled on gender and age, next was the question of vocation. It had to be plausible enough not to arouse suspicions, especially if the objective was to gain her trust in the first place. Perhaps a farmer. Farmers were for the most part, friendly people. Weren't they?

At any other time, he would have discussed this with Master Wei, but he did not want to add to his troubles right now. It would not do to end up second guessing himself and lose precious time in deliberation. He would make a choice and stick with it.

Absolutely.

His final choice was old farmer, male.

He concentrated on an image in his head of what he wanted to look like and watched himself change. It was truly an eye opening thought to realize how much his powers had been suppressed by the onyx blade and curse.

A pitchfork materialized as a tool to enhance his appearance, but on second thought, it looked a bit...savage. Maybe not a tool, then. He settled on a strand of wheat, chewing it for authenticity. It was vile. Not in the mouth, then.

One final check and he was ready. He smiled at his pot belly, proud of how he looked the part.

Now it was time to go and meet the child.

*****

Li XiWang was in a strange place. The air was fuzzy, like when you woke up and had to blink a few times to clear your eyes, but here, the fuzziness did not go away.

Noises were muffled, much like how they played hide and seek on the mountain with all her siblings and friends. They would stuff cotton wool balls into their ears and wear blindfolds while counting, only allowed to take them out when searching.

But she heard a voice once. It was her Wei ge-ge, she was sure of it. He had found her; now all she had to do was find her way out of this place.

This place was like being stuck inside a bowl of jelly. Frustrating and exhausting, and making no progress at all. She sat down, defeated.

"Hello, young lady." This voice was clearer than the other sounds.

Li XiWang looked around and saw a fat old man, awkwardly holding a single stalk of wheat.

"Who are you?" She demanded, standing up, immediately alert.

"A friend." He tried.

"Liar!" She shouted back. "I don't know you!"

"Okay, we have not met before, but we have a mutual friend. Someone who is really worried about you."

A look of hope flashed across her features before she hardened her resolve, replacing it with distrust. "I don't believe you."

"What can I say to let you trust me?" Hui Gai thought it was such a pity that one so young had learned not to.

"What's your name?"

"Hui Gai." He answered truthfully.

"And who's our friend?"

"Master Wei. You call him Wei ge-ge."

"How do you know that?" She cried, unwilling to believe him.

"It is because we are friends that I want to help you." He told her, gently. "I live close to Master Wei. I can see everything he sees, feel everything he feels. I know he is extremely worried about you. He wants you to wake up."

"But," her lips wobbled, "if I wake up, they'll hurt me. It hurts, so much."

"You are no longer with those people." He stepped forward and she stepped back. "You have nothing to fear from me."

"That's what those people said. They lied, they took me away from Grandmother... and...and they found ways to hurt me. I don't want to wake up. I won't." She folded her arms tightly around her little body and sat down, glaring at him.