Chapter 78 Warmth

Wei Ying was moved to the Jingshi the next day. He was feeling much better, but he needed to be closer to his family, especially because of the trauma that he knew Li XiWang must be suffering.

She was being extra helpful, asking for permission not to attend classes just so she could stay by Wei Ying's side.

Wei Ying slept more than anything else, his body slowly recovering. Jiang Cheng made himself available at every opportunity, just sitting beside him, even while he was asleep.

Lan Zhan stuck like glue. Their routine stayed mostly the same, until a few days passed. Wei Ying was much stronger now. He could sit for a few hours at a time, and slowly, slowly, they began to heal from that terrible experience.

One morning, Wei Ying woke first, stretching tentatively, working out the kinks. Lan Zhan opened one golden eye to observe him.

Wei Ying beamed magnificently, and Lan Zhan couldn't help but reciprocate, upon which he was kissed enthusiastically.

"Is Wei Ying feeling better?" His deep voice never failed to bring shivers down his spine.

"Do you know something, Lan Zhan?" He grinned mischievously at his husband.

"What?" Lan Zhan eyed him carefully, because a playful Wei Ying meant trouble.

"Do you know how much I love you?"

"Mn."

"So tell me?"

Lan Zhan blushed, his ears turning that delightful shade of pink.

"Can tell Wei Ying how much I love you."

"Really?" Wei Ying straddled his waist, wriggling his hips...

Lan Zhan flipped them over, carefully cradling his body so Wei Ying would not hurt more.

"Mn."

"Lan Zhaaan! You have to tell me properly. Give me something more..." Eye brows waggling, plump red lips pouting sweetly.

Lan Zhan bit him, licking and kissing his lips until he was too affected. He mimicked his husband's position, sitting comfortably, golden eyes blazing with love.

Wei Ying could not explain the tears that suddenly started to fall. Lan Zhan was immediately alarmed, tried to get off him, but Wei Ying managed to sit up. He threw his arms around his neck, refusing to let go. Lan Zhan held him just as tightly, worried.

"Is Wei Ying in...pain?"

"No," he hiccuped. "I just...I could see...how much you love me...and I love you just as much. But...we nearly lost each other."

"It is okay. Wei Ying is alive."

"I know...but I don't know!" He wailed, crying more.

Lan Zhan understood. There was always a wild kind of fear; he felt it too. Just the thoughts of separation instigated a madness that couldn't be beared. He always tried to ignore those feelings, a constant worry since their longest time apart. No one could understand it as well as he did, in fact, he wished he didn't.

His robes were soaked, but he didn't care. Wei Ying was more important, and he had to make him understand.

"Wei Ying."

Wet lashes blinked against his neck.

"Huh?" He felt dazed, the outpouring of grief draining his strength. He didn't want to move from this warmth, the comfort that only Lan Zhan could give him.

"I love you." He kissed him deeply, laying him down. Lan Zhan kissed his wet eyes, his nose, his damp cheeks, and then finally his lovely lips.

Silver eyes stared back at him, the pain and doubts ebbing away, leaving only affection and love.