Chapter 28 Unexpected

Li Xiwang was excited. Her father was taking her to see his best friend, Uncle Ning, who lived just outside of Cloud Recesses. He had called him, his Soul Brother.

She held SiZhui's hand in one of hers and her father's hand in the other. Joy that she hadn't really experienced or thought about, came to her in a flood and there were gasps from her companions. The air around them filled with pretty blooming flowers, petals raining down on them as they stopped.

"Are you doing this?" Her father asked, in wonder.

"I'm just so...so happy!" Her little body could not contain the sheer magnitude of her feelings, and she burst into tears.

SiZhui stepped back, shocked and looking at his father, who smiled instead. He picked up the little girl and held her close until she could breath calmly.

"Hush, now, little rabbit. I'm happy you're happy. Aren't we, SiZhui?" Wei Ying grinned at his son.

"We are?" SiZhui was just confused. He had never seen anyone cry with happiness... except his other father. And this father. So if it was a normal thing to do, was there something wrong with him?

"You are naturally a much calmer person." Wei Ying reassured him.

SiZhui smiled awkwardly. This father always knew what to say.

"And soon, this little rabbit will understand that it's okay to feel happy. She has a big family to help her grow up." Wei Ying continued to walk down to the little cottage.

He was also excited to see Wen Ning again, after so long. He missed him like his arm, if he was honest, and this was a great excuse to come and see him.

Wen Ning was out of the gate and walking towards them even as they approached. Wei Ying put out down the little girl.

"Just a minute." He smiled broadly at her, before running towards Wen Ning.

He was caught and hugged tightly himself. A feeling of utter tranquility invaded his whole body and he visibly relaxed.

"I've missed you so much." Wei Ying held in for an extra few minutes.

"Same." Wen Ning replied, also not showing any signs of letting him go.

Reluctantly, they stepped away from each other. Wei Ying held out a hand for his daughter, who shyly came to hold it, but stood slightly behind him. She watched as SiZhui hugged his uncle too.

She looked at this new uncle. His pale skin made the black veins stand out, but he had a kind face. He sat on his haunches to look at her properly.

"He is like Hui Gai." She whispered.

Wei Ying nodded.

"Someone called?" The demon stood next to her, appraising Wen Ning.

There was only one way to solve this.

"Little rabbit, you can trust your Uncle Ning just as much as you trust Hui Gai, and just as much as you trust me. Do you understand?"

She let go of the demon's tail and he stepped back a little, hostility not quite gone.

"Hello, Uncle Ning." She bowed.

The demon licked his lips, and Wei Ying found it just as uncomfortable as the first time. He wrapped an arm around his shoulders.

"Friends."

"If you say so." He shrugged and disappeared.

"I have some news." Wen Ning said, for some reason, embarrassed.

"Really? Let's go inside. What about a drink?" Wei Ying held him by the waist and sauntered towards the cottage.

"What about the children?" Wen Ning raised a brow, smiling.

"Not for them, obviously," he grinned back, mischievously.

Li Hua chose that moment to come outside.

Wei Ying stopped walking, and stared. She was wearing a dress, that was the first thing. The second, was the huge bump she was cradling with one hand. He turned to look at Wen Ning.

If the man could blush, he would've been a deep scarlet by now. He went to stand by her side.

"This is my other news."

Li Hua rolled her eyes.

Wei Ying found his voice after that familiar gesture.

"I guess I'll have to find new drinking buddies. I'm going to miss that, though." He beamed at them both. "Congratulations."

SiZhui hugged his aunt too, and they all went inside.

*****

Later, Wei Ying recounted everything to his husband after their dinner. Li Xiwang was asleep in her cot, so he kept his voice down.

Lan Zhan poured him another cup of his favourite drink, and sipped his own tea, watching his animated husband.

Wei Ying had gone through four jars already, so he made a mental note to buy more when he was next in Caiyi town. Wei Ying was showing no signs of slowing down, either.

"Tomorrow is the ceremony." Lan Zhan reminded him.

"I know. Let me tell you, Lan Zhan, I'm so excited. I can't wait." He poured himself another cup, ignoring the pointed look from his husband. "Do you think she will like her robes?"

"Mn."

"I'm surprised Uncle Qiren hasn't said anything."

"Mn."

"I think he likes her a lot more than he lets on. Do you know, Lan Zhan, I met one of her teachers. He couldn't stop saying nice things about our daughter." He gave up in the cup and just put the jar to his lips.

Lan Zhan stared longingly at him as he drank, and then forced himself to look at the cot where his daughter lay. It was getting harder to be with his husband these days, but he was not above getting creative. And tomorrow was another day.