Chapter 70 Clash

Wei Ying was feeding the rabbits with SiZhui, happily watching them play. Their fluffy little tails bouncing as they hopped eagerly towards the carrots.

"Wei WuXian!" A familiar voice shouted, jolting him out of the peaceful sanctuary his mind was resting in at the moment.

He looked up and saw Jiang Cheng striding towards him angrily.

"What have I done now?" He wondered out loud.

"Don't you know? Everyone is looking for you! Nie Huaisang is here, he's got important information." Jiang Cheng pulled him up. "Come on!"

Jiang Cheng hauled him along. They met Lan Zhan, who frowned at the fingers around his husband's arm, and then glared sharply at the person they belonged to.

Jiang Cheng gulped and let go immediately.

Wei Ying rubbed his arm. Lan Zhan took it and lifted his sleeve, to reveal finger shaped bruises.

Jiang Cheng gasped, exclaiming, "I didn't even hold you that tightly!"

"Do not touch him again." Lan Zhan kept the frosty glare on him.

"It's fine, it's fine." Wei Ying tugged his arm back, pulling down his sleeve. "My skin is just extra sensitive, that's all."

Jiang Cheng made a hasty exit.

Wei Ying reached up and kissed his still upset husband on his cheek. "I'm fine." He took his arm. "Let's go and see what Nie Huaisang has for us."

"Mn." Lan Zhan took his hand in his.

Wei Ying had noticed that ever since he had returned, Lan Zhan liked to keep touching him, not just because of latent desire, but as something that he found comfort in. He found it kind of sweet too; touching Lan Zhan was on his top ten of things to do...

The library was empty except for Jiang Cheng who hid behind his husband, Nie Huaisang who was impatiently fanning himself, and themselves. XiChen quickly poured tea for everyone.

"As you know, we have our Tower curator. I happened to mention Suanni and he started pulling out ancient records. He said that in olden days, people actually worshipped Suanni as a God, because of the whole Buddha's mount thing."

"Really? So are there temples?" Wei Ying asked.

"Yes, and even better, look at this." Nie Huaisang pulled out an old looking scroll.

The edges were tattered and torn, revealing its delicateness. He carefully laid it on the table, using incense burners as paperweights to hold the corners down. He pointed at a spot in the middle.

"This is Gusu, back in the day. Here's the temple."

"It looks quite big." Wei Ying observed.

"That's not all. Guess where this is, in today's Gusu?" Nie Huaisang had a sharp smile that suggested he knew something secret, but integral to their investigation.

"Just tell us!" Jiang Cheng bit out, from behind XiChen.

"This is the site where the current orphanage has been built. I would think they had a nefarious reason why they picked that particular place, don't you?" He winked at Wei Ying.

"Oh, my!" Wei Ying breathed out. "You should give your Tower curator a raise!"

"I intend to." He smirked.

"Also, I have good news." XiChen said, eagerly. "I have received messages that the clan leaders are ready to initiate the attack. We are good to go whenever you decide."

"Then it should be as soon as possible. The children must be our first priority." Wei Ying said, firmly. "What about tonight?"

"I will organize it. Sundown?"

"Perhaps later? I was thinking if the children were asleep, it might be less traumatic?"

"That's good." XiChen smiled. "I will let them know."

*******

Wei Ying groaned and threw himself across their bed.

"I hate waiting." He mumbled.

"Mn. Can think of something..." Lan Zhan smiled at him. He was playing Wangji, aiming for a soothing melody but it clearly wasn't working with a jittery Wei Ying.

"I'm too stressed for that!" He flipped over, kicking his legs.

"Then, what shall we do?"

Lan Zhan was interrupted by a very excited Li Xiwang, who burst into the room.

"Fathers? We heard about what is happening tonight!"

She was followed by an anxious SiZhui, who looked at both his fathers apologetically.

"Can we come with you?" She was bouncing up and down. "I want to help the children too!"

Wei Ying sat up immediately. "Who told her?" He mouthed to his son, who shrugged, blankly.

"Come here." Wei Ying told her, opening his arms.

She happily climbed into his lap. "So can we?"

"I'm not sure that's a good idea." Wei Ying started to say.

"Why not?" She demanded, hotly. "I beat Uncle Cheng in the training ground. I can fight."

Wei Ying looked helplessly at Lan Zhan.

"It is not safe. We need to make sure-" What? What? Lan Zhan struggled to finish the sentence. He threw a pleading look at his husband instead.

"What we mean is," Wei Ying thought quickly, "who will look after the bunnies while we're away?"

"Yes!" Lan Zhan looked relieved. "Bunnies. Must look after. Very important."

Li Xiwang stared at both of them. Wei Ying made himself keep his gaze on his daughter; he knew if he so much as glanced at his husband, he'd lose it.

"Alright. I believe you." She reluctantly got up. "Let's get the carrots." She told SiZhui, who mouthed a quick 'thank you' to both his fathers.

Wei Ying forced himself to stare at the floor for a solid five minutes, before looking at his husband and dissolving into giggles. He clutched his stomach, tears of laughter streaming from his eyes.

"Oh, my!" He gasped.

"Mn." Even Lan Zhan had an amused look on his face.

"Our daughter is going to be formidable soon." Wei Ying said, as soon as he was able to speak coherently.

"Mn."