Chapter 64 Changes

Shen Ling landed softly, his talons barely scraping the ground outside the Jingshi.

"I'll be close by. Do you think your plan will work?" He voiced.

Wei Ying thought about his threat. "Don't worry, it will be fine." He replied, with false bravado.

Shen Ling flew up into the sky without another word.

Wei Ying watched him leave, feeling tremendously lucky. If Shen Ling had not rescued him that day...

He shuddered and then steeled himself. He could not stop his hand from shaking as he went to open the door.

This was his home. His love and his life lay beyond this final barrier, but after tonight, would it still be?

No, no, he wouldn't allow such thoughts. They had promised together. He took a deep breath and entered.

The Jingshi was dark, but he could make out three forms lying on the bed. The sight of his children there to comfort his husband and receive the same, brought tears to his eyes. SiZhui lay further away with Li Xiwang sandwiched in the middle, and Lan Zhan, as always on this end.

He slept as he always did when Wei Ying wasn't there; alone, on his back with his hands folded on his chest.

Wei Ying knelt down to look upon that beautiful face. It might be the last time he was able to, so he wanted to drink it to his fill. Unbidden, his fingers touched his forehead and the elusive ribbon that he had always taken as his right to touch. He traced the smooth curves of the Lan emblem, stroking the arch of his husband's brows, his proud nose and those lovely lips. How he had missed this face!

He stifled a sob threatening to leave his mouth and wake all three. It was getting late, soon all of Cloud Recesses would wake, and he would miss his chance.

Ever so gently, he cupped his husband's cheek and kissed him softly.

Lan Zhan was dreaming a beautiful dream. He was with Wei Ying, sleeping together. Wei Ying woke first and kissed him awake, those delicious lips and their incredible taste. He could give up food and water just for this one pleasure.

He blinked awake and saw...Wei Ying. Without another thought, he held on tightly, kissing him back with everything he was worth. Was this real? How could it be? Lan Zhan didn't care. If he could stay in this dream forever, it would be bliss.

The dream Wei Ying was trying to pull away, but Lan Zhan didn't want to. His tears fell between their lips, salty and unwanted. Reluctantly, he looked at his husband, a face so loved. He wouldn't let him go now.

"Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan, my love." Dream Wei Ying was whispering. "I need to...show you something."

"Mn."

Dream Wei Ying smiled his beautiful smile at that and shook his head. "Not here...I can't. I have to show you outside."

Lan Zhan was up already, but he paused to really take in Dream Wei Ying's appearance. His husband was only wearing trousers. No robes. He raised a brow, curious.

"I-I'll explain...later. Come on." Dream Wei Ying took his hand and led him out of the Jingshi.

They took a back path up the mountain where nobody went. Higher and higher. Lan Zhan shivered and was surprised that even with the lack of clothing, Dream Wei Ying wasn't cold. But that's because this was a dream.

It wasn't real, he thought sadly, his heart breaking again. Even a dream was better than his reality, so he accepted what he was seeing.

Wei Ying led him to the very edge of the cliff. Behind him, the mountain fell away, the ground so far, they couldn't see it.

Lan Zhan became scared. This wasn't a dream at all. It was a nightmare. His hand tightened and he pulled Wei Ying to his body, shaking with fear.

"No."

Dream Wei Ying patted his back, hugging him just as hard.

"No matter what happens, please know I love you. So much." He choked back a sob. "Lan Zhan, you have to let me go."

"Never. Love Wei Ying."

"Please, I have...I have to. I have to show you." Wei Ying was crying openly now.

He held onto Lan Zhan's hand, and placed his palm on his own beating heart.

"This is yours."

"Mn."

Wei Ying took a step back. "You have to push me...off."

Lan Zhan grabbed him again, holding him close. This was definitely a nightmare. He could not do it, not in a dream and not in real life. Never.

His robes were soaked in their tears.

"Please, Lan Zhan. I need you to do this...so you won't hate me...later. Please."

Lan Zhan shook his head, unable to speak.

"Do you trust me?" Wei Ying turned his tearful eyes up, staring into amber pools, reflecting his own misery. But there was no other way.

"Yes. Always trust Wei Ying. Love Wei Ying." He repeated, desperation lacing his words.

"Then do it. Do it now! I promise, Shen Ling is close. He can save me like before. You don't have to worry. Please, trust in me." Wei Ying pulled away, keeping his palm where it rested above his heart.

Lan Zhan wiped his face with his sleeve do he could look at his love clearly. This was just a dream...right?

Ever so lightly, his fingers pushed. Wei Ying tugged on his hand, the edge was reached and he pulled fast suddenly.

He screamed as from his back, two magnificent wings spread out, flapping to keep him airborne, as Lan Zhan looked at him in amazement.