Chapter 22 Lured

Wei Ying saw the frightened girl trembling in Lan Zhan's arms, Bichen out and ready to defend them.

The group of attackers closed the circle around him.

Out of nowhere, a black flash appeared. Hui Gai stood in front of Lan Zhan. He raised his hand palm out, and suddenly screams erupted around them. Within seconds, piles of ashes replaced the bodies, a stench of burning flesh tainting the air.

"Don't you think that was...an extreme reaction?" Wei Ying held his nose and came forward.

"Not really." The demon replied nonchalantly. He examined his nails, but kept an eye on Li Xiwang, who Lan Zhan still held tightly against his chest, cradling her head so she would not see.

"I didn't know you could do that." He turned to Lan Zhan. "Let's get out of here."

"Neither did I!" The demon enthused. "I'm learning something new everyday!"

"But Hui Gai, we could have asked them questions. As it is, we don't have much to go on." Wei Ying led the way from the house.

"I'm sorry, Master Wei." He instantly looked contrite. "I saw the threat, and I reacted. I will be careful next time."

"Next time?" Wei Ying was confused.

"Did you not hear what they said?" Hui Gai looked around and saw they were approaching the town. "Shall we talk later?" He vanished.

Wei Ying nodded and walked to a tea house. He ordered a meal and hot, sweet teas for them. While they waited, he told Lan Zhan that they should talk in private, motioning at the little girl in his lap.

"Li Xiwang?" Wei Ying tapped her shoulder.

Lan Zhan had not stopped rubbing her back. She shakily sat next to him.

"Here, drink this. It will make you feel better." Wei Ying poured tea for everyone. "Eat something." He pushed the plate towards her.

She smiled weakly at him when she finished.

"How are you feeling now?" He stroked her hair.

"Better." She admitted. "Wei ge-ge, I have to-to tell you something."

"What?" He smiled encouragingly at her.

She held his hand, composing herself. "You know when I was asleep, and Hui Gai came to find me?"

Wei Ying nodded, stroking her knuckles with his thumb.

"Hui Gai promised to look after me. That's why he came out. Please," her eyes filled with tears. "Please don't shout at him. He was only protecting me."

"I'm glad he was there." Wei Ying told her, wiping away her tears. "Don't worry. I'll only tell him not to be so...severe in defending you. It is a lesson for you, too. Never kill anyone if you can help it."

She nodded, ever so seriously.

"Self defense is acceptable." Lan Zhan added.

Wei Ying noticed he hadn't completely let go of her either. He smiled to himself. His little girl was a charmer.

Wei Ying had an idea then, but he decided to wait until later before telling them. Li XiWang was already looking sleepy, eyes drifting closed on their own accord.

"Let's go."

*****

His grandmother was waiting for them when they returned. She handed him a piece of parchment. He glanced at it before looking at her.

"It's the list you asked me for. I cannot leave my other children for longer than a few days now. But you can find them for me." Worry sat in the edges of her eyes.

"I promise, Grandmother. We will find them." Wei Ying bowed.

"Mn." Lan Zhan bowed awkwardly; his arms were still holding the little girl.

"Rest for now, decide what to do in the morning." Her gaze softened when she looked at Li XiWang. "Is she alright?"

"She was so brave!" Wei Ying gushed in a whispered voice. "You should have seen her, Grandmother. She remembered where to take us."

"Did you learn anything?"

Wei Ying nodded.

"Good. We will talk in the morning." She left them to enter the cave.

******

Wei Ying woke up early the next morning. Lan Zhan was already sitting in meditation, so he waited until he finished before speaking.

"I have an idea." He told him.

"Mn?"

"What did those people say, before I came out of the house?"

"They wanted our daughter."

"Really?" He stood up and made his way into his spot. Smiling up at his husband, he kissed him good morning and hugged him.

Lan Zhan shuddered, letting go of his built up tension.

"I know you wouldn't let anything happen to her." Wei Ying reassured him.

"Mn."

Wei Ying told him what he was thinking.

"Mn. That is a good idea." Lan Zhan kissed him. "Wei Ying is clever."

*****

They waited until Li XiWang was awake. After her breakfast, Wei Ying took her hands and called for Hui Gai. The demon appeared immediately. He bowed to the two men and grinned evilly at the little girl.

"Li XiWang, I was thinking about you. About your safety." Wei Ying looked at the curious demon. "Hui Gai, do you mind if I gave her your ring?"

Hui Gai looked like he was going to throw up.

"It is fine, Master Wei." He replied, dubiously.

Wei Ying took out the chain from around his neck. He showed it to Li XiWang.

"This is so cool!" She also smiled conspiratorially. "Does this mean I can call him whenever I want?"

Wei Ying was a bit scared of that look. "Within reason."

"Of course." She agreed, looking like she didn't care at all about that.

Wei Ying carefully put it around her neck. Then he had another thought.

"Do you think we can still communicate, even though I'm not wearing it?" He asked, intrigued.

"We can try." The demon promptly disappeared.

Wei Ying waited for a few heartbeats before calling out in his mind.

Hui Gai presented himself.

"Wow!" Li XiWang and Wei Ying shouted it out together.

*****

A/N

This is me being totally sneaky and writing at work, only because there's a lull!  See you all in the evening and have a great day, wonderful readers!