Chapter 29 Ceremony

All those jars of Emperor's Smile were useless, Wei Ying sighed quietly to himself. He tried to shift his body to ease his itching back, but didn't want to move too much, in case he woke Lan Zhan.

The potions hadn't been working too well lately, and he thought he could knock himself out by drinking himself into oblivion, but sadly, here he was, staring at the ceiling. He wanted to be well rested for tomorrow, well today now, because it was such an important day for his little girl. Luckily Lan Zhan had not questioned his motives because that would have been an entirely different conversation.

Plus the intensity of the itching had increased a hundred fold, for which he had no explanation. Now, filled with restlessness, he jumped over his husband's prone form, wondering why he wouldn't let him sleep on this side of their bed. Probably to keep an eye on him, he stifled a laugh.

The itching reminded him of teething babies and young calves about to produce horns. Their skin became so itchy, any touch felt ecstatic to them. He remembered playing with the babies and have them nuzzling impatiently into his hands, wanting relief from the discomfort.

Maybe running would help. He scribbled a quick note telling them not to worry and left it on the table. He didn't bother with extra robes, as it was, he felt his skin crawling. He had to move.

An hour later, exhausted and quite irritated that the running had been just as useless as the alcohol, he found himself by the bunnies.

The fluffy bundles welcomed him, excitedly frolicking around his legs and when he lay down, jumping all over him. They shared their warmth and by the time the sun rose, Wei Ying was fast asleep.

He was gently shaken awake by a worried looking Lan Zhan.

"Wei Ying is going to be late."

He jerked awake and started moving before his body caught up, but Lan Zhan held him steady.

"Wei Ying was not sleeping?"

"I..no." He sighed. "Couldn't sleep at all."

"Will go to the healers later." Lan Zhan helped him walk quickly back to the Jingshi.

*****

An hour later, they were dressed in fancy robes; Lan Zhan in shimmering white while Wei Ying wore specially made red and black ones. They were waiting for Li XiWang to come out from the Jingshi after other women disciples helped her get ready.

She emerged like a butterfly from a cocoon. Her hair styled carefully by the ladies was held in place by a jade comb gifted to her by Lan Zhan, who couldn't look more proud. Her robes shone in the morning sun, pink and glittery, exactly what the little girl liked.

She held both their hands as they walked to the Great Hall.

She beamed and ran to the unexpected guest.

"Gramps!"

Baoshen Sanren picked her up and hugged her.

XiChen, Jiang Cheng and Uncle Qiren were waiting with SiZhui.

Inside the Great Hall, Li XiWang had her name changed to Lan Wang and her birth name they wanted to keep as Li XiWang, in honour of her biological parents.

Next, they accompanied her to where Lan Zhan's parents were laid to rest. They all bowed and returned.

Uncle Qiren made her recite a hundred of the 4000 rules, and Wei Ying was smiling smugly, when she passed with flying colours.

Instead of a banquet, they had decided to have a family meal in Uncle Qiren's room. Of course, it was a quiet affair.

Once the meal was over, Uncle Qiren looked at Li XiWang seriously, stroking his beard.

"It is time." He told XiChen.

XiChen presented her with a long carved wooden box.

She stared at it in awe, and then at everyone there.

"You may open it." Uncle Qiren said.

She lifted the lid carefully and gasped. Inside, lay a magnificent guqin, made from polished elm. The silvery wood gleamed in the light, silver strings reflected in the shine.

"This is your own guqin, but to make it into a spiritual instrument, you must imbibe it with your spiritual energy daily. You must meditate to boost your own cultivation and then concentrate on your instrument."

Li XiWang stood up and bowed to everyone.

"I promise to do my best, and uphold all the rules of the Lan Clan of Gusu."

Wei Ying was so proud of her, he didn't complain once about the rules.

*****

Lan Zhan waited until SiZhui was free to spend some time with the excited little girl, before taking Wei Ying by the hand and marching to the infirmary.

"It's probably going to be something else disgusting." Wei Ying complained.

"Wei Ying will drink it." Was the unsympathetic reply he got.

When they returned, XiChen was waiting for them.

"Still can't sleep?" He asked, looking worried.

"It's fine. Look!" He held up the new medicine with fake enthusiasm. "We have a new cure."

"I thought perhaps, you might be interested in going for a night hunt." He suggested.

Lan Zhan frowned. "How will that help, Brother?"

"Well, I thought the effort of hunting itself would tire him out, but if you think it's a bad idea...?"

"Mn."

"I'll go!" Wei Ying said at the same time.

Lan Zhan gave him a hard look.

"If I'm awake anyway..." Wei Ying reasoned.

Lan Zhan wordlessly pulled him towards the Jingshi.

"Lan Zhan! That's rude!" Wei Ying shouted out.

"Ignore him." Jiang Cheng popped up out of nowhere to stand beside his husband. "Besides," he leaned forward and kissed him deeply. "I missed you."