Prologue

A boy looked up at his master, blinking against the dusty wind.

"Produce for your master the X-Blade!" He shouted.

Ventus, the boy, despite knowing that the darkness was exactly what created the shadow monsters around him, figured that if he listened, everything would be okay.

Xehanort wouldn't isolate him anymore.

Ventus wouldn't be forced to go through these grueling trials just to use the darkness, and create some super weapon that he could honestly care less about.

But this, this was his last straw. Secretly, he was sick of it. But then again, who wouldn't be?

Everything, he was sick of it.

Every single day, he would live out absolute hell.

Constant trials, and all the time, he thought he would die because he was being pushed too hard.

Or maybe, everyone went through this.

Yeah, maybe every keyblade wielder had to go through grueling training.

Ventus' hopes fell the moment they sparked.

It probably wasn't likely.

So why did Xehanort have to use him?

Ventus knew that he was being selfish, but he couldn't help but wish that it wasn't him who had to go through this.

He didn't want to use the darkness, period.

He just felt that there was no way to use the darkness.

He wasn't like that. He couldn't just turn his fear toward the shadow monsters around him into rage.

Unless he unlocked it from his heart himself.

With a rather harsh glare up at Xehanort, Ventus closed his eyes.

He reached down into his heart, feeling his body fall.

As he reopened them, he found himself no longer in the dusty old Badlands, but rather his Station of Awakening.

Ventus jumped lightly off, yelping in shock as he was pushed off rather high.

With his keyblade in hand, he flipped it, and unlocked the platform below him.

And before his very eyes, he saw half of it become shrouded in darkness.

Not to mention, his portrait moved to the other side.

Ventus opened his eyes hesitantly. The shadow monsters were gone from sight, but his heart felt heavy.

"Good, good." He heard Xehanort's spine chilling laugh. "Now give it here."

Ventus saw in his hand was the x-blade instead of his own. Only, there was something off about it. Something in his heart was telling him to not hand it to Xehanort.

"What if I don't want to?" Ventus asked.

He had a sneaking suspicion that Xehanort had a hidden dark intention behind all of this; but it could just be his connections to the heavenly and sinful weapon his his hand.

Ventus found it weird that the x-blade had overwritten his own keyblade.

"You just used me to create this, didn't you?" He held his keyblade up in an unusual stance, very different from his own. His hand was out, and the x-blade was up, near his face and ear.

"Now, that's just assumption, which is very rude. Give it." Xehanort held his hand out, and the feeling Ventus had, had only gotten stronger.

Ventus's grip on the x-blade only got stronger. His voice shook as he said, "no."