kh2(20)

TW: Mentions of abuse.
It's only lingering thoughts, but if anyone gets too uncomfortable while reading, please let me know, and I will try to help in any way I can. Thank you. :)
Also, long chapter lol

He was walking through the hallway, again, when he found himself upon a door that was cracked by just a bit. Against his will, he stopped and leaned against the wall to listen. Before he did, though, he reached into his mind. He didn't want to eavesdrop on the adults, and yet his body practically forced him to stop. And he suspected that this was the work of his headmate.

A chuckle in the back of his mind confirmed his suspicions. "Bingo."

Ven softly sighed, looking up at the roof on instinct. He kept his voice hushed as he spoke. "And.. why am I doing this?"

"Because. It may be useful." Vanitas scoffed. "Just shut up and listen, alright?"

Ventus rolled his eyes, then placed his ear against the wall. To further focus, he closed his eyes. His mind carried a small buzz as Vanitas made comments about random stuff, but Ven was able to push past that and listen, not that it was the easiest task to do.

"But what should we do about Kairi?" The voice of Eraqus asked.

Aqua responded with, "I spoke to her this morning, right before we trained. She said she was fine and well enough to go out."

"Right... I would still like her to be careful, however."

"And she has been. Very careful, at that. And with all her friends, I'm sure she'll be fine today."

Terra jumped in, saying, "And, on the topic of pupils, Riku is doing well. He and I are making excellent progress."

Ventus leaned further against the wall, then his shoes slipped on the floor. He fell toward the door with a yelp, then the door was pushed open by his weight, and he landed in the doorway. He groaned when he landed, pulling himself up so he leaned on his left forearm, and placed a hand over his sternum, and winced at the burning feel. The burning begun to fade soon, but that wasn't really what he was worried about. He had just been caught spying on Keyblade Masters. What kind of punishment would he receive for that? Some sort of "training" that would leave him scarred? Training until he ended up passing out? He forced himself to stand up, then grabbed the edges of his cape, then looked up at the Keyblade Masters, trying to keep calm.

"I... uh.." He placed his hands at his sides, then shut his eyes. If he was about to be punished, then that was his fault. He deserved it. It was his fault for staying and listening, so he definitely deserved it. Even if he was sore for days afterward from whatever it was, he deserved it. Ven tightened his form, staring down at the floor as he waited. He could feel Vanitas thinking in his mind, not that he really cared. Something about retaliating against Eraqus, or possibly running away? If he retaliated, Eraqus would only punish him harder. It wasn't worth it.

"Ventus?" Eraqus sounded surprised. "Is everything alright?"

Ventus swallower hard and opened his eyes again, but he couldn't bring himself to look up. "Uh.. yes. I was just, um..."

"Eavesdropping?" Aqua asked.

Ven nodded. "Yes... I didn't mean to, though. It was on accident, I swear.."

When he finally managed to look up, his eyes widened. There wasn't even a hint of any bad intent in the eyes of the Masters, but he was still wary. Perhaps they were good at hiding it? He kept his form tight as he watched them, trying to keep his breathing steady.