kh1(7)

Riku stared down from a high ledge in a world made entirely of sand.

"Did you see the way Kairi threw her keyblade and obliterated all the heartless? Oh, it was so cool!" Sora exclaimed! "And then how I protected her with Aero?"

Riku glared, still listening.
As he listened, he felt a strange strain on his heart, and that same pit of dark tar reached forward, the same bouncy and playfulness to it. Riku allowed some of it to enter his vicinity, feeling and odd choking sensation.

"Yeah, it was awesome. Definitely something worth celebrating." Kairi agreed.

Riku stared down. They were my friends. Did they forget about me?

"Some friends of yours." A voice behind him said. "Abandoning you for some creatures. That one with the key, what's her name?"

"Kairi. And the other one's Sora." Riku told her. "They... abandoned me."

"I wouldn't say that. They just found a different-"

"I've heard enough." Riku said harshly. "They forgot about me. I could always go down there and act as if nothing happened, and go with them. But I think a different plan is in order."

"I make the rules here." Maleficent told him.

"Well then. I suppose you wouldn't want to hear the plan?"

"I never said that."

"We lure them to Hollow Bastion. And since Kairi is a Princess, we can convince her that she needs to use her power, and then we continue with the regular plan."

"How do you plan on convincing her?" Maleficent asked, a hand landing on Riku's shoulder.

"That's my job. I'll tell her that it's part of our way home."

"Manipulating your friends? Has the darkness gotten to you?"

Riku scoffed. "Of course not. I'm serious in helping them, no matter how betrayed I feel. Having Kairi use her powers will help us get home, right?"

"Of course. Unless you'd rather face their new friends and get on their ship?"

"No. Plus, the islands disappeared. It wouldn't work." Riku looked behind him, at the portal Maleficent had created.

He stepped through it, feeling his lungs get tight, and he leaned against the wall for support.

"Are you so certain that your heart hasn't been enticed by the darkness?" Maleficent asked, her voice oddly sweet sounding.

"I have a strong heart. You don't know what you're talking about." Riku definitely was aware how strained his voice sounded.

Maleficent didn't say anything else, but walked away.

Riku slid down the wall, breathing heavily. His lungs felt like they were being compressed, and he didn't know what to do.

Happy thoughts, maybe. Riku thought. He tried remembering Sora and Kairi, from before everything had happened.

The feeling started to fade, and he gasped for air.

"What's.... happening to me?" He managed to say. "Has the darkness gotten to me?"

He lay down on the floor in front of the emblem, and waited for the second round of pain to pass through his body.

Just a small price to pay. Just a small price... to get your friends back... Riku promised himself.

But his whole body shook and thrashed as the pain came flying back. It was actually worse this time, and he screamed in agony. Tears streamed down his face.

The playful feeling came back. It was the only thing that wasn't cold and dreadful within his body, so he latched onto it, not letting go.

But as he swam deeper through, he realized with a gulp of dread,

That the pit of tar was where the cold was coming from.

And he'd just drowned himself in it.