kh2(9)

Kairi shut her eyes.

"Why couldn't we have just gone around like we normally do?" Her voice raised over the wind.

"Because the darkness isn't good for you." Terra responded. "And where we're going, you've never been to before."

"So where are we going?" Riku asked.

"The tower of the great wizard, Yen Sid." Aqua said.

A wizard? Kairi thought.

She'd never met a wizard before.

Donald was only a court magician, and Sora was just a mage in training.

She didn't ask any more questions, but she glanced at the barrier over her.

Since her and Riku didn't have armor, they were susceptible to the darkness.

But Kairi had said that the darkness didn't go near her, since she had none.

"I don't want to take any chances." Aqua had said.

Kairi had sighed. She could take care of herself.

And she'd been doing it since they'd lost Sora.

But still, Aqua wanted to be careful, so she had created a barrier over them.

Riku, on the other hand, had himself covered in dark splotches so he could fool the darkness.

Kairi glared at him, feeling a bit jealous.

Why couldn't Aqua just trust her on things?

Her thoughts were interrupted by the barrier flashing.

When she touched it, it shattered.

"Aqua, why's the barrier gone?" Kairi asked.

"We're within the world's walls." Aqua explained. "So it's safe here."

Kairi tightened her grip on Aqua's waist as they flew faster within the Lanes Between.

Soon enough, they arrived in a world.

Well, not in the world. It was hardly a world, anyhow. More like an island floating in the sea of worlds.

Kairi hopped off Aqua's glider onto the grass.

Riku jumped down beside her silently as Terra and Aqua removed their armor and returned their keyblades back to normal.

"So, Yen Sid is an old friend of Eraqus?" Riku asked, kicking his foot at the dirt below.

"Yep! It was actually him who told Eraqus about you two and Sora." Aqua said cheerfully.

No one really said anything as they climbed up the tower.

It reminded Kairi of The World that Never Was.

Still, they reached the top.

Terra opened the door and greeted Yen Sid with a bow.

"Terra, Aqua." The wizard addressed them. "I was expecting you."