kh1(4)

"Hehe, he isn't dead."

Bark!

"Yeah, I suppose it's time to wake him up now."

Sora felt something pounce on him, and he yelled out.

"What a strange dream..." he mumbled, his eyes falling closed again. The force landed on him, which made him yell, "this isn't a dream!"

"Of course not, silly." Kairi teased.

"But... where are we?" Sora rubbed his eyes and stood up, staring at the sky.

"Well... that's the kinda exciting part. We're in another world!" Kairi exclaimed.

"Oh, really? C'mon, let's go explore!" Sora grabbed her wrist and yanked her out of the alleyway.

"Sora, wait!" Kairi yanked her wrist away just as they stopped in front of a store. "I was thinking we could go look for Riku before we do anything else."

Sora stared down at the floor, the energy drained out of him because of that single sentence. "Riku... Riku's gone."

"No he isn't. He's still out there. I can feel it. Can't you?"

Sora reached out, feeling for any sign of Riku. And sure enough, he felt it. It was faint, so, probably far away, but it certainly was there.

"Yeah. I can." Sora said with a smile. He latched his wooden sword on his back and turned to Kairi. "Now can we go explore?"

"Hm. I suppose. We can't get anywhere by just standing here."

The two friends pushed open the door to the shop labeled: Accessory Shop, and found a person inside.

"Hey, mister. We're just wondering, where are we?" Sora asked casually, putting his hands behind his head.

"Don't call me mister, the name's Cid. Now, you asked me a question, kid?"

"My name isn't kid, it's Sora!"

"And yer little girlfriend?"

Sora frowned, feeling his face flame as Kairi giggled. "She isn't my girlfriend. And her name is Kairi."

"We asked you where we are?" Kairi repeated.

"Oh! You're in Traverse Town." Cid replied.

"But how did we get here?"

Cid shrugged. "Beats me. Only way I reckon you'd get here is if that world of yours got destroyed."

"De...stroyed?" Kairi whispered. She turned to Sora. "How did Riku get off the island then?"

"He.." Sora held his breath. Should he tell Kairi about the dark he'd felt when Riku tried reaching for him?

"He what?"

It was the right thing to do. "Kairi.. Riku used something dark. Almost like.."

"What I felt in the secret place." Kairi finished, her eyes calculating. "He's out there, but he's alright. We'll find him. Don't worry."

"Thank you, Cid. We'll go take a look around town now." Sora smiled.

As they walked out, they turned a corner, staring at some big doors.

Kairi read the sign above it. "Second District."

"Let's go" Sora said.

Kairi nodded, and they pushed open the door.

"Hey, where'd that dog go?" Sora asked.

"Oh, Pluto? He had to go find his owner." Kairi responded.