kh2(7)

The glittering castle of the Land of Departure had a sort of dark shadow over its form as Riku stepped up to its door.

He hesitated in knocking.

Unable to bring himself to do it, he turned to Kairi behind him.

"You know what? Maybe we should just keep going to worlds. After all, we could use the experience."

As he tried to move past her, Kairi stopped him by placing a hand on his chest.

He struggled against her, eventually falling down on the steps.

"We have to report what happened. This is important, and it's better we do it now than wait." She answered.

"But what if we get in trouble?"

"For what?" Kairi scoffed. "Taking a day to recharge?"

Riku sighed, averting his gaze from his friend.

She was right.

"So now, you're going to knock on that door, or I'll do it for you."

"But-"

"You need to own up to this."

Riku glared up at her. "I don't want to."

"Yeah, neither do I. But we kinda have to."

Kairi moved past him and went to touch the doorknob.

Riku's hand moved before he could think, pulling her back a few steps.

His friend eyed him questioningly.

"I'll do it." He said.

Kairi smiled warmly. "Good."

Riku stood up, walking past Kairi to the door.

As soon as his hand twisted the doorknob, bells sounded from all around.

Both him and Kairi covered their ears as the sound abused their eardrums.

Despite the loud ringing, Riku heard voices from the inside of the castle, and the oddly quiet noise of footsteps against the tiles.

When the awful ringing stopped and they both lowered their hands, the door opened, revealing the three adults.

Terra spoke first, his eyes widening in shock. "What are you two doing back here so early?"

Riku's mouth went dry at his mentor's words, and glanced at Kairi for help.

"We.." Kairi breathed out, "we ran into someone."

Aqua eyed them curiously, and guided them inside.

As they entered the huge throne room, Riku felt imitated by how the adults sat in the thrones.

"Who was it?" Eraqus asked, a hint of fear peaking his tone.

Kairi looked at Riku, signaling him to speak.

Feeling confidence flow from his friend into him, and said the one name that could change everything.

"Ventus."

Terra and Aqua leapt forward from their seats out of shock, whereas Eraqus looked regretful.

"I had no idea he was still out there." He mumbled. "If I had, I would have sent someone along with you as extra protection."

"We managed to hold our own against him. After all, we're still here." Riku said.

"And I am forever grateful to him for not harming you two that badly."

"But he still attacked you?" Terra asked.

Kairi nodded.

"Do you have any idea why?"

Riku took a deep breath, and faced Eraqus. "Actually, it was because we mentioned you, Master."

Aqua's gasp cut through Riku's heart.

He hadn't wanted to believe whatever had happened back then was true.

But they had just proven his fears.

"Is it true?" Kairi asked gently. "That you.."

Eraqus sighed. "Yes, it is. I was foolish back then, believing darkness had to be extinguished."

Riku looked down at the floor, his doubts crawling and nesting deep into his mind.

Was he a monster in the Master's eyes?

"But," Eraqus continued, and Riku could feel his gaze on him, his head lifting, "both you and Terra have shown me that darkness and light can live side by side. After all, you and Kairi can manage to not push your ways onto the other."

"What do you mean by that, Master?" Riku asked.

Aqua spoke this time, "she has one of the strongest lights I've ever seen. We believe that she has no darkness staining her heart."

"Right." Kairi murmured. Her voice spoke to everyone as she said, "I'm a Princess of Heart."

"Yes, and one of the most curious cases I've ever seen, at that." Eraqus said, his head tilted in question.

"Why?"

"Because you wield a keyblade." The master said. "I've never seen that before."

"Honestly, I don't know how I got the ability. It's just.. strange."

After a silent moment, Eraqus said, "though, you two have yet to go to worlds."

Riku looked up in shock. "But master-"

"Only this time, Terra and Aqua will go with you as both escorts, and extra protection." He glanced at his apprentices with a teasing look. "Plus, I think it will do them good."

Terra and Aqua looked at him in surprise.

"Are you sure, master?" Aqua asked.

"Yes, I am." He turned to Riku and Kairi, "go rest up, you leave tomorrow."

Both of them stiffened, bowing at him.

"Thank you, Master."

And they left the room, heading for the sleeping quarters.