CoM(9)

Riku stared up at the humongous skyscraper, trying to not think too hard about Sora.

They were getting closer, but how much longer did they actually have?

Before something bad happened?

He shook the thought away and focused on something else.

He had lied to Kairi.

Only partially. Riku had told her that he'd gone that way because it was the most obscure path, which wasn't technically true.

He had been following the smell of darkness. Riku didn't know how to describe it, so he didn't. Instead, he told a half truth.

"Should we keep going?" Kairi asked.

"Hm. I don't know." Riku admitted. "We should preserve our energy. Those heartless took a lot out of us, after all."

"But we've been sitting here for hours!" Kairi whined.

"We don't actually know that. But I get your point." Riku picked up a tiny rock, tossing it down the steps and across the pavement and watched it hit the side of a building.

"How about this," Kairi picked up two small stones, handing one to Riku. "Whichever one's stone goes the farthest, that's who's plan we follow."

"So, if mine goes farther, we stay a bit longer, and if yours does, we keep walking?"

Kairi nodded.

"Alright."

The two of them swung their arms in unison, throwing the stones. They disappeared in the lighting, but reappeared as they fell under moonlight.

And from Riku's perspective, it looked like his had gone farther.

But he didn't feel like waiting. The suspense was killing him.

So, Riku picked himself up, sliding down the mini banister, and rolling across the pavement.

When he looked down at the small stones, his was indeed farther. To not arouse suspicion, he lightly swept his hand next to it, instead of picking it up.

"Bad luck." He said as Kairi approached. "Yours went farther."

"Yeah, cause I definitely didn't see you push mine. No, not at all." Kairi chuckled.

Riku huffed in response. "Okay, my idea was a bad idea. I want to keep looking for Sora, is that so wrong?"

Kairi pretended to ponder over it. "No. Because I want to as well. Now that we're on the same page, shall we keep going?"

"Was this a plan of yours?"

"Nooo..." Kairi dragged the word on for so long, Riku assumed she ran out of breath when she stopped.

"Whatever. Let's just get going."

Kairi offered her hand to help Riku up, and he gladly accepted it. As she pulled him up, Riku couldn't help but be sure with how strong she was.

Looks can be deceiving. Riku remembered. Kairi had that advantage. She could easily be underestimated by the enemy.

"Hello?" A hand was waved in front of his face. "Honestly, why do you stare at me so much?"

Riku immediately snatched his gaze away. "Sorry. I was thinking."

"Alright. Now, in case you haven't noticed," Kairi said, "there's a big heart in the sky."

His gaze lifted to indeed see a humongous heart shaped moon in the sky.

"Well. That certainly is not a good thing."

"Right. Which is why we need to hurry. What if the people that kidnapped Sora are planning on sending him up there where we can't reach him?"

Riku laughed aloud for the first time in what seemed like a while. "I doubt that's much of a plan. And if they were to do that, wouldn't they have already-" he caught himself.

Surely Sora was fine?

In a panic, he found himself running away from the skyscraper, opening the connection. Luckily, it was still burning.

And the more they moved, the hotter it became.