Chapter 41

Caitlin cried into my shoulder as I stared wide-eyes at where Jay had been taken, all suspicions of him disappearing as quick as his life had been taken.

Maybe now isn't the time for jokes already.

I looked over at Barry, whose eyes were slowly filling with tears. He had just watched another person he cared about be ripped away from him, or he was mourning for Caitlin.

"He's not dead. He's not dead he's not!" Caitlin muttered as I looked to Barry for help. He shook his head.

"Caitlin..." I said quietly as she cried.

"This can't be happening again... it can't..

I rubbed her shoulder and rested my cheek on her head as she fell, the two of us sitting on the floor.

"Open it up." Barry ordered as Harry shifted.

"Allen-"

"We need to go back!" He yelled as I looked at Caitlin, who only rested her head on my shoulder.

"I can't do that." Harry stated, Barry clenching his fists.

"Open it up!" He demanded, his face now confused with anger and sadness.

"The breaches are close sn they all are. Jay is dead! We all saw it. There's no point in saving a dead man." Harry argued as Cisco sniffed, staring down at the floor as I looked over to them, hoping one of them knew what to do.

"The dark matter energy that we used to seal the breaches, it prevents them from being opened, ever again. " I said quietly, Barry looking down at me. My eyes moved to look up at his, and all I saw was regret on his face.

"There's no going back to our world? We are... we are trapped here?" Jesse said, and I had almost forgotten she was here.

"Forever." Harry said quietly.

I helped Caitlin stand up slowly, wiping her tears away. "Why don't we um... go get a drink?" I offered as I wrapped an arm around her, looking to Cisco as Caitlin and I walked out of the basement.

"I can't believe it..." Caitlin said quietly as I handed her a cup of water. She sat down on the medical bed, sniffing as she stared down at the clear liquid. "I should have known I wasn't going to get a second chance at love."

"Hey now, don't think like that! C'mon Caitlin... I'm sure maybe one day you'll find someone who loves you as much as Jay and Ronnie did... and care for you as much as the Team does." I said as I rubbed her back. She forced a smile, looking up at me.

"Thank you, Daisy." She said quietly as I nodded.

"Why don't we just get you home? We can watch a movie tonight?" I asked as she shook her head.

"I don't want to go home. I'll uh.. just stay here." She declined, setting her cup down and resting her head. I sat on the bed with her, rubbing her arm.

"I'll get you if we have any updates, alright?" I said as she nodded slowly, her eyes fluttering shut as she slowly drifted off to sleep. I sat up, walking out of the room as Barry and the rest walked into the Cortex.

"How's she doing?" Cisco asked as I shrugged.

"Fine now I guess. I offered to take her home but she didn't want to do I just stayed with her until she fell sleep. Which was like 10 seconds ago." I said as Cisco's eyes glossed over. "She'll be okay."

"Yeah. First Ronnie. Now Jay?" Iris said quietly as I looked over at her. When did she show up? Has she always been here?

"Their lives are not your lives." Harry said as I looked over at him.

"What?" I asked, not having heard whatever the group said.

"Your doppelgängers. We shouldn't tell Snow about hers." Harry said as I clicked my tongue. Barry gave me a nervous look, causing me to frown.

"You alright Bar?" I asked as he nodded quickly.

"Yep. Perfectly fine." He said as I gave him an unsure look. He reciprocated it, taking my hand and leading me out of the Cortex.

"Barry what is going on? Even before Jay was killed in front of us you've been giving me an off-vibe. What happened on Earth-2?" I asked as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I met our doppelgängers." He said quickly as my eyes widened.

"Oh... so uh- how are we?" I asked as Barry sighed quietly.

"Well... I'm doing great. I don't think I want to talk about you." He said as I frowned.

"Barry... what happened?" I asked as he crossed his arms.

"Your doppelgänger she um.. she worked for Zoom." He said quietly as my brain slowly processed what he said.

"I- wait 'worked?' You said she worked for Zoom? Is she-"

"Yes. I Uh... I watched her die, Daisy. Right in front of me and- and it was the most horrific thing I had ever seen. I saw her go from being this girl who wasn't afraid of anything to being terrified of dying and... and for a moment I saw you. And I didn't want to."

I stared at Barry for a moment, my nose tingling as I pictured my doppelgänger dying in Barry's arms, how she could have actually been me... but evil. I hugged Barry tightly, hearing him cry quietly into my shoulder.

"You won't lose me Barry... I promise." I whispered as he nodded slowly.

"Something else happened in Earth-2 that I don't think I can keep to myself. But I don't think I'm ready to tell anyone" Barry said as I backed away to look at him.

"Yeah of course. Whenever you are ready to tell anyone. I'll be right here." I said with a weak smile as he cupped my face, pulling me into a soft kiss.

"I missed that." He said quietly as I raised a brow.

"It's been two days."  I said as he chuckled.

"Two days too long."

꧁꧂

After four (or five) long months, I suddenly have the motivation to write this story again! The updates may be slow but they will happen! Welcome back to me :)