Chapter 43

We can just ignore the fact that I'm changing the story a bit. Let's just pretend when Barry went back in time when Cisco was killed (even though it was literally a single day) it changed how Cora got her powers.

TW: mention of suicide

The night of the particle accelerator explosion

Cora sat on Cassandra's couch, her hands wrapped tightly around a gaming controller that was on the edge of breaking in her grip.

"COME ON I ALMOST HAD THAT!" She yelled into her microphone as a young boy chuckled. "You better shut your trap before I shut it for you, Jesse!"

"It's not my fault you absolutely suck at Mario Kart."Jesse retorted as Cora grumbled.

"When you turn eighteen in six years know that I will find where you live and beat you because then it will be somewhat legal." Cora snapped as she fell off of rainbow road. "DAMMIT I HATE THIS MAP!"

"Did you just threaten a minor?!" Jesse joked as Cora clicked her tongue.

"I'll do a lot more than threaten you." She promised as Jesse gasped.

Cassandra walked into the apartment as the round ended, Cora grumbling in defeat as Jesse laughed maniacally.

"Better luck next time, Cora." Jesse said, his voice cracking at her name as Cora burst out laughing.

"I have to go, Jesse. I'll talk to you later." Cora said and turned off the console as Cassandra frowned at her.

"Who the hell is Jesse?" Cassandra asked as Cora turned around, chuckling.

"He's a friend I met on COD. What's the problem with that?" Cora said as Cassandra crossed her arms.

"Nothing. I just don't want you cheating on me." She said bluntly as Cora raised her brows.

"Jesse is 12, Cass. I'm not gonna cheat on you with a damn minor. And you know I don't cheat." Cora stated as Cass rolled her eyes, going to the kitchen. "Anyways... how was work? Did you talk to your boss about quitting?"

"Nope. Because I'm not going to." She said, starting to clean the dishes as Cora walked over to the counter.

"Cass, your manager had harassed you for being a lesbian for over a year. You should have quit when he started! Or at least found a way to fire him." Cora mentioned, Cassandra sighing.

"Cora, I don't think I should quit. It's a good job and pays well. Why do you want me to quit a job that pays good money?" Cass asked accusingly as Cora scoffed.

"Maybe because I love you and I don't want you to end up like the people we see on the news all the time! Starling City is full of sick people who want the world to burn. Not to mention that the most recent murder was a gay couple! Cass I don't trust your manager. I want you to leave that damn job."

"And maybe I want you to leave this damn apartment!" Cass yelled as Cora jumped back, the feeling of her heart sink hit the floor. "I'm not quitting this job because you want me to, and certainly not because some stupid manager is homophobic. I'm done with you right now, I want space." Cass said. Cora glared at her before grabbing her coat, slipping on her shoes and walking out the door, but remembering to slam it in anger.

Cora sat in her car for a moment, tears falling down her cheeks as she looked up at Cassandra's apartment, debating going back to apologize. She decided against it.

She drove for hours, now just outside Central City, hoping to watch the accelerator go off as she got to S.T.A.R. Labs.

Turning on the radio, Cora listened to the news of the particle accelerator. She looked over at the passenger side of her car, a picture of Cass on the air conditioner. Cora mumbled something under her breath, ripping the picture off as a giant boom sounded.