HANAKO-finale/new book!

I was gonna make a seperate book since we hit 69 published parts on this one but I'm kinda lazy ngl :/ but I kinda hate my old writing on here so I might end up doing it anyway. Lol anyway.

This wasn't requested but I had an urge to write a story like this so pls enjoy as the finale for this book, and check out the new oneshot book coming out soon :).

———————

Hanako never once was the one to believe love. He spoke a lot of lust and crushes, normal hormonal boy stuff. Never once of love.

He, personally, felt as if his shot at love had been stolen long ago along with his future. He believed that as a spirit love is close to impossible to find. After all, it's not every day you find a spirit to fall in love with, as all ideas of falling in love with someone who's alive is strictly prohibited.

"They'll grow old and move on hanako." Tsuchigomori would tell him. Truely, it saddened the male to see the spirit in this state, in a state so desperate for affection and tender care yet unable to achieve it.

"Oh it's fine, I was joking!" He'd always brush off with a mischievous grin, masking it by saying something perverted afterwards.

Despite this, tsuchigomori knew, after all it wasn't hard to spot the distant look in his eyes when he zoned out, when he was left to his own thoughts.

This is why they considered you a miracle more than a spirit.

When you had appeared at the school as a spirit hanako was off the charts, he was ecstatic to find out that they had found yet another spirit roaming around aimlessly. At first, he was excited to meet you, he was excited to have another friend and frankly just someone to annoy. But to his surprise you were completely the opposite of what he had in mind, instead of a soft, shy spirit he was met with a cocky attitude and an intimidating aura. You instantly shot down his attempts at flirting and perverted doings, pushing him off and placing a foot on his chest to keep him on the floor.

That day you had threatened to kill him even if he was dead.

Hanako never believed in love, and if he did, he believed love was shared between two individuals who held an equal amount of love and admiration for one another. A relationship was always said to be a 50/50 right?

That's exactly why it confused him when he found himself searching for your same intimidating presence everywhere he went. It felt like a magnet, constantly pulling him in as he fell into a deep spell, unable to break out and go back to his previous ways. He enjoyed having you glare at him, it meant you looked at him, right? He loved hearing you threaten him, your voice was always his favourite. When you pushed him and stepped on him? It left a tingly feeling he couldn't get enough of.

If love was supposed to be an equally shared feeling between two individuals, why did he feel a need to love you even when it seemed you didn't love him?

He had approached tsuchigomori about this numerous times, despite the spirits' protests and pleads of peace and quiet. He had ranted for hours about how he couldn't help but feel attached to you. Hanako at that time was convinced it was nothing more than a simple crush, prior to his learnings of what love truely meant. The male would blabber like an idiot, he would list the things he loved about you—which tsuchigomori evidently summed up to be absolutely everything about you—and then he listed what he hated about you, or more specifically, about your relationship with him.

"So you hate that they only look at you with disgust and hatred, you hate that they don't accept your hugs, you hate that they only threaten you. Is that right?" Tsuchigomori would sigh; it had been what? The third time that day the boy had visited him with issues regarding you.

"Yes!" Hanako cried, throwing his hands in the air.

"So you hate that they don't love you back."

The boy stopped his movements, staring at the spider spirit with a raised brow. "Love?" He repeated.

"Yes. Love."

Hanako never believed in love.

Hanako, only once, made an exception with love.

"Hey! Have you seen y/n today?" Hanako asked tsuchigomori with a smile.

The day had just turned into another purple evening, the outside world running busy with life as the afterlife danced around the corridors of the school. It was perfect really, the way the sky was setting made it so the lighting turned into the most beautiful mix of purples, oranges and pinks, each cloud in the sky seemingly delicately painted by the softest bristles of the softest paint brushes. It was really a painting made by a god.

It made Hanako stop and stare at it, his eyes assessing each cloud with such gentle care—he got lost in thought again, tsu noticed. The longing look returning.

It was something he wished not to discuss with the ghost; you. It was still a sensitive topic and one that Hanako seemed to not be prepared for. It was as if he were in his own world half the time, in a world in his own imagination.

Maybe it were better that way.

Maybe it were better that Hanako stayed staring at the clouds with that distant look in his eyes, maybe it's better that he stays in his imagination. Maybe that way he can finally hold your hand like he had always wanted, maybe that way he can have you look at him with the same love and admiration he always looked at you with. Maybe that way he can tell you he loves you and just maybe you'll tell him you love him too.

If only this reality were that way.

If only humans and spirits could live in harmony.

"No, I haven't seen them." Tsu smiled. He had remembered a promise he made with you on your last few moments; to keep Hanako happy no matter what.

"Oh." The boy sighed, snapping back to reality as he looked down at the ground. "I'll go look for them then, tell them to come find me if you bump into them." He smiled, turning on his heels and walking away.

Hanako never believed in love. Love was just the exciting, beautiful and calm winds before the storm.