twenty nine.

I went back to the kitchen to pour Kai some more grape juice. This time, I prepared two glasses for him.

"You're the best," Kai said as he took the glasses from my hands.

"Okay, can you tell me what you wanted to tell me?"

"Can I drink my grape juice first?"

"Oh my goodness." I expected Kai to down the grape juice quickly, but instead, he took small sips. I narrowed my eyes at him. "You're stalling."

"Am not."

"My patience is running thin."

Kai sighed. "Fine!" He quickly drank both glasses and set them down on the coffee table next to him.

"Alright. Spill."

Kai's expression grew serious. "Do you remember what I said to you at the stream this morning?"

I inhaled sharply. "Which part?"

"When I told you that I didn't mean it?"

"You're being vague," I told him. But in fact, I knew exactly what he was talking about. He was referring to the words that have left me in pain since this morning.

I didn't mean it... I don't love you like that.

"Think harder," Kai said. "Remember? You'd asked me if I meant what I said this morning when you... When you were asleep in my arms?"

"I think I remember," I mumbled, turning away to avoid his gaze.

"And I told you at the stream that... I didn't."

"Yes."

"Y/N, look at me." Kai brought a hand under my chin. "Please?"

I reluctantly turned to face him.

Kai continued. "Well... I'd lied to you. Everything I said at the stream was all one big lie."

My eyes were stinging. Don't you dare cry.

"And so the reason why I'm here now is because... You need to know that I didn't mean any of it." Kai traced a finger down the side of my face. "And I take it all back, because..."

My heart began to race just like when Kai had pulled me into his arms last night.

I knew exactly what he was going to say next.

"...Because I love you, Y/N."

I removed Kai's hand from my face. "No."

"W-What?" Kai's eyes were wild with confusion.

"Take it back."

"I won't."

"Why not? Take it back, Kai!"

Kai grabbed my face between his hands. "No. I won't take it back because it's true. I love you. I always have. Even before you and Taehyun were a thing. I loved you way before he did. Sorry."

I didn't know what to say. So I just stared at him.

"A-Are you gonna say anything?"

I felt a tear run down my cheek. "If I say something... I'm afraid I'll admit it."

Kai pulled my face closer to his. "Admit what?"

"That I—"

Kai's lips met mine before I could finish my sentence. His arm pressed my body to his as he deepened the kiss. I wanted to pull back, but instead, I curled my fingers around his neck and into his hair.

Forget butterflies.

There was an entire zoo in my stomach.

A wave of relief overcame me as Kai pulled me closer, if that was even possible.

My mind was racing, and so was my heart.

It had never felt like this with Taehyun. We've had our fair share of kisses, but none of them had ever felt as ecstatic as this one. I should've felt guilty about it. It should've felt wrong. But instead, I found myself melting into the kiss. Begging for more, even.

I pulled back before I lost myself.

"You don't have to say it if you're not ready," Kai whispered, pressing his forehead to mine. "But at least don't deny your feelings for me."