thirty seven.

"When did you know?"

Kai and I decided to watch the night sky from his rooftop. He'd laid a blanket out, some pillows, and snacks. My head was nestled in the crook of his neck and his arms were wrapped around my waist. I felt so at peace.

"When did I know what?"

"That you liked me."

"Hmm," Kai lowered his head and met my eyes. "I knew the day you took me to your place for the first time. When you made the banana walnut muffins."

I giggled. "You still remember the muffins? Wasn't this like... over a month ago?"

"They were so good!"

"So... you started liking me because of the muffins?"

Kai rolled his eyes playfully. "No, silly. They were part of the reason, yes... But I knew I liked you when you'd remembered that grape juice is my favorite beverage in the world."

I burst into laughter. "So you're saying it's all because of grape juice?!"

Kai joined me in laughing. "N-no! It's deeper than that!" He couldn't control his laughter. I thought it was adorable.

"Okay, seriously. When did you start liking me?"

"I wasn't lying when I said that day!" Kai's loud laugh eased into a soft chuckle. "I really can't explain it... But I went home that day knowing it was more than just a crush."

"You had a crush on me before that?"

"Obviously! I mean, who wouldn't? You're..." Kai ran a hand through my hair. "...beautiful."

I buried my face further in his neck so that he wouldn't see me turn red. "Okay, how about... when you fell in love with me?"

"To be honest... I can't pinpoint the exact moment I knew. But like they say, falling in love is something that just happens. And you can't control it..." He planted a kiss on the top of my head. "Your turn. When did you know you have feelings for me?"

I lifted my face. "I was 100% sure when Taehyun kissed me and I didn't feel any of the things I felt when you kissed me the first time."

Kai smiled and planted another kiss on my forehead. Then his expression became sad. "How am I going to tell him?"

I asked myself the same thing. How was I going to explain this to someone I care about deeply? Without breaking his heart? It seemed impossible.

"I'm sure I'll find a way," Kai muttered, answering his own question. "But for now, let's not worry about it. The night is young, we have snacks, and you're in my arms. And I'm not letting you go anytime soon."