Chapter 45: Daphne's Ball

Shoutout to Daugular01 for being amazing🤩 and sticking with my book. Thank you!!

America
Earlier today I told Daphne that I am pregnant and we practiced some French.

Now I have to get ready for Daphne's announcement ball.

She is hosting a ball for many Royal families that will be broadcast around the world. During this time she plans to announce her pregnancy to everyone.

I can't wait to announce my own pregnancy, but I want to tell Maxon first.

He deserves to know before our entire country does, it is his baby after all.

I think I am going to tell Maxon on Christmas, which is really soon, but if something comes up and I can't wait I'll just have to tell him sooner.

For now though, I need to get ready for Daphne's event, this is her time to shine.

Even though Daphne is supposed to be the most beautiful one there tonight, she sent me an extravagant gown to wear tonight.

Her maids must have worked on this for weeks.

She even had them make a matching blue tie for Maxon to wear

He is going to be wearing a dark gray suit with his matching blue tie.

I'm certain he will be the most handsome man at the ball tonight.

"America," Maxon says knocking on the door.

"I'm still getting ready but you can come in," I say.

I have been getting dressed and ready in the room we are staying in, here in the palace.

He comes up behind me to wrap his arms around my waist, "you look amazing America".

"Why thank you, oh and Daphne had her maids make you a special tie to match my dress."

He takes the tie and walks over in front of the mirror to put it on.

"Are you excited to converse with the other royals tonight," he asks me as he straightens his tie.

"I guess, I am really excited for Daphne though. This is certainly something to celebrate."

"It is, I cannot wait until it is our turn to announce our first pregnancy. We shall have a ball or ooh we could make it a national holiday. Now that would be something," he says.

"Oh Maxon," I say putting my head on his chest.

"We better get going downstairs before we are the last ones to arrive," he says.

I let him take my hand to lead me downstairs to the ball.

Standing at the foot of the stairs is Daphne herself. She must have been waiting for us to join them.

She has on a beautiful golden dress that looks excellent on her.

Just as we are about to pass her she grabs my arm

Just as we are about to pass her she grabs my arm. "America what if the people are unhappy that we are having a baby right now?"

I pull her into a hug and whisper in her ear, "I'm sure they will be just as excited for you as I am. This is good news, worthy of a celebration, ok?"

She nods and I take Maxon's offered arm to walk into the ball.

The ball room is crowded. No matter what direction you turn, someone is always right there next to you.

I didn't even know there were this many royals to invite in the first place.

"Our first pregnancy announcement ball will not be this grand," I say turning to face Maxon.

"Why not? I only want the best for you, my dear."

I glare at him and turn around to take in more of my surroundings.

I certainly don't want to get separated from Maxon in this crowd, so I grab onto his arm even though I have no intentions on moving right now.

As Maxon starts to speak the music starts and everyone is invited to dance.

Maxon puts his hand on the small of my back reassuring me that he's right with me as he leads me to the dance floor.

The dance floor is also crowded, but there are less people since not everyone wanted to dance or brought a partner.

"I love dancing with you, we get to be close in front of people without it seeming improper," Maxon whispers to me.

I laugh, "dancing is quite fun, I wouldn't want to do it with anyone else though".

As I lay my head on Maxon's chest to sway, Daphne and her husband come over to us.

"This is it America, we're gonna go up there and announce our news right now," Daphne says.

I let go of Maxon for a second to hug Daphne and then push her towards the stage.

Once on stage she picks up the microphone and begins.

"Good evening everyone, tonight I come to you with some special news. This news matters greatly to the country of France. Tonight, I announce, that we have an heir on the way. I am pregnant!"

Everyone starts to cheer for her as she stands smiling out at the crowd.

Every single person has a smile on their face, just like I knew they would.

Now, no one has a smile on their face and there are many screams.

When Daphne went to step off the stage all of the lights went out.

I pray this is nothing like the rebel attacks we have to endure in Illea.

The entire ballroom is now in panic mode and no one can decide whether to evacuate or stay where they are.

Maxon pulls me close to his chest and asks if I am alright. All I can do is nod.

When I hear the large crack of thunder, I cry out in relief.

The palace is not under attack, there is just a storm outside that caused a power outage.

However, even though the storm is a relief, that means the palace will get cold without power for heat or electricity.

Maxon and I may have to fly back home tonight.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please let me know if there is anything you want to happen before America tells Maxon she is pregnant. I will do my best to make it happen.

For a shoutout in the next chapter comment: #AmericaLovesMaxon