Chapter 88: Hopelessness

Not proofread

Jeongin was entirely focused on maintaining the illusion he and his aunt had created to distract the hunters as well as Zendala and Shiela. To say Jeongin had felt betrayed when he had spotted Shiela behind enemy lines didn't come even close to the feelings swirling in the kitsune's chest. He had gritted his teeth and willed his magic to intensify to get rid of his anger. His magic was a burning orange, fixing the holes Zendala and Shiela kept creating in the illusion again and again. Felix was close by his side, eyes scanning for possible attacks that could hit Jeongin.

In the corner of his eyes Jeongin saw his aunt rejoining his side. The mixed blood had disappeared from his side for a short moment, telling the young kitsune to keep doing what he was doing. Maybe, the kitsune would have worried if he wasn't so focused to hold his ground against Shiela and Zendala. He wanted to win against them in some way or another.

"Jeongin, we are gonna fall back," Ms. Hwang spoke up beside Jeongin, letting her magic slip into Jeongin's to support the younger magic user. Deep blue and burning orange magic mixed with Jeongin's bright orange one, making the young kitsune almost sigh in relief. He hadn't noticed how much magic he had used until his aunt came to help him. It gave him enough time to glance at the mixed blood, whose mismatched eyes were focused on the little battlefield before them.

"I will take over alone now. You and Felix get through the portal Byungho created and to safety. I will come after you with the others," Ms. Hwang explained, making Jeongin's head snap to her. Was she seriously proposing that Jeongin would leave her behind? Just like that?

"Auntie-," Jeongin began.

"No buts, Innie," Ms. Hwang interrupted the other, her mismatched eyes meeting his bright orange ones, "I will come after you, promise."

Jeongin gulped down his doubt, but he didn't move one inch until he felt a warm hand slip into his own. He turned his head to come face to face with Felix. The cat hybrid's ice blue cat eyes looked at him with sympathy before the ginger began to tug the blond back a bit.

The kitsune bit his tongue, turning his head back to his aunt. He didn't want to leave her behind but he knew that arguing with her wouldn't do any good. And didn't he own it to her follow her lead after making her teleport them her along with Hyunjin? To the gods, he did own her.

"Make sure you keep your promise," Jeongin mumbled more to himself than to his aunt before he let Felix drag him away, his magic slipping out of the one of his aunt, leaving her alone to keep up the illusion.

Jeongin bit his lips when he forced himself to look ahead and not back. Felix was right there beside him and not far before him stood Byungho, who kept a golden-reddish portal open, and Chan in his wolf form. Jeongin's brain could barely comprehend that seeing Byungho with gigantic black wings on his back wasn't normal when the passed the brunet and Chan to get through the portal.

It was almost a relief to feel the familiar magic of Byungho and Seungmin around him. Still, he couldn't help but grip Felix's hand a bit tighter when the two emerged from the portal. The conflicted look on Seungmin was the thing that almost calmed the kitsune because everything else was just in chaos. Everyone was running around to some destination Jeongin probably wouldn't know since unlike all of them he did not specifically prepare for this mission for weeks.

The blond almost yelped when Felix dragged him back and out of the way of a little group of shifted werewolves that speeded past them and then disappeared into the forest. Everything was just so hectic, he could barely focus. His tired mind screamed at him to just use the last bits of his powers to teleport him and Felix away from all of this. He didn't plan on ever doing that, it was cowardly.