Chapter 69: Moral compass

Shortly after leaving the little meeting room, Seungmin had taken out his phone to text Wonpil that they should return home now. The redhead walked in a slower pace, so he wasn't running into other people or things while he typed. The lead to Chan and Byungho walking a bit ahead while Changbin, Hyunjin and Seungmin fell back a little.

After sending the text he wrote, Wonpil's reply came almost instantly, which wasn't that unusual for the older demon. Wonpil suggested in his text that they should meet in the lobby, to which Seungmin agreed in a short message.

"Who are you texting with?", Hyunjin, who walked beside Seungmin, asked, making the redhead look up from his phone and towards the siren. When the young demon saw the light and polite smile on Hyunjin's lips, a bit of guilt let his chest feel heavy. He knew Hyunjin had realized something when he had told everyone of Stray Kids how he had known about Jisung being in some way special to Zendala long before he and Changbin figured out the blue-haired warlock was actually Zendala's son. He knew that because even though Hyunjin tried to pretend there was nothing wrong, his eyes glimmered with a certain worry, fear and unanswered questions.

"Seungmin?", Hyunjin called the redhead's name quietly, looking quite confused. Seungmin quickly shook his head, realizing that he had been lost in thought and therefore just stared at Hyunjin without answering.

"I texted Wonpil-hyung. We're meeting him in the lobby", Seungmin finally answered the question, avoiding to look at Hyunjin to cover up the embarrassment that he felt creeping up his cheeks. He should have noticed how he had stared at Hyunjin and avoided it.

"Will you be picked up or go home alone?", the siren carefully asked, like he wasn't sure if he was allowed to ask that. At first, Seungmin was kind of confused until he realized that Hyunjin had probably no clue about his family structure. He was only aware of the fact that Byungho's mother recently died and so did Athea, Woosu's mother, but he had no clue who Woosu was, since Seungmin never really mentioned him in Hyunjin's presence.

At that point Seungmin wholeheartedly understood why Hyunjin asked so carefully, because he was probably very confused but didn't want to accidentally bring up a topic that was sensitive. On the other hand the redhead felt his chest get even heavier. Just how many people did truly know everything about him?

The redhead willed those thoughts down and reminded himself to stay in the present and to not let his thoughts wander. He had to be focused, for the sake of being useful.

"I will have to call my father once we are in the lobby. Then we will be picked up by him", Seungmin answered, after the short pause. He wasn't being really direct, but the details were really unnecessary to mention. Hyunjin nodded, signaling that he understood and didn't continue asking.

Seungmin just felt weird while they quietly walked to the lobby. The little voice in the young demon's head spoke up once more and told him that the awkwardness surrounding them was his fault, but he also couldn't think of a way to make things different. He would have to live with it.

In the lobby they met Wonpil, who wasn't there alone. Lucifer stood already beside his oldest son. Wonpil had probably called him here after he texted with Seungmin. The devil had his horns and devil's tail hidden just like when he brought his sons to the NCT. A grin made its way onto Lucifer's lips when he saw his two other sons and their friends.

Seeing his father grin made Seungmin realize something he should have earlier. Neither Chan nor Changbin nor Hyunjin had ever seen Lucifer. They didn't know his name or that he was the devil himself.

"I didn't know you two had such thoughtful friends", Lucifer casually complimented, seemingly being very pleased with the current situation. Seungmin on the other hand was internally panicking. He had seen how his friends reacted when he hid things from them, no matter his intentions. There was no way he ever wanted them to know who his father really was.