Chapter 30: Two sides of one coin

It was the 30th of December but Minho didn't know that, nor did he really care about it because he was way too focused on the little message on his phone's display. It was a message from Jisung saying he wasn't able to hang out today because something came in between. It was the fourth time he did that in a span of four days.

Minho almost glared at the message, like it was a person he could scare off. Was Jisung avoiding him or was he really just busy? After all Minho had no clue about Jisung's home situation, even though he had his suspicions, which weren't very good by the way but it was still frustrating that the younger more or less refused to see him. It hurt Minho on a level that wasn't easy to understand for someone, who wasn't a hybrid or werewolf, who had found his mate because the bond between a hybrid or werewolf and their destined other was something very special and powerful but could also become something very harmful.

Minho was lucky to have someone close to him as a mate. But it was a little bit of a disadvantage that Jisung was from a different species because he could unknowingly hurt Minho very badly with, for example, ignoring him for weeks because of an argument.

Yes, everybody would feel hurt because of such an action but for hybrids and werewolves it could cause a phase of depression because the so called "mate bond", which was created after the first lip contact and hold upright by simply conversations between the mates in any form or/and with a little bit of physical contact, would slowly begin to fade. Of course it would take a lot of time for the mate bond to completely disappear but in that time every joyful feeling would be drained from the hybrid or werewolf bit by bit.

Of course Minho was sure Jisung would never want that to happen to him but it was a difficult thing to understand for someone of a different species how much impact a mate could have on a hybrid or werewolf. Jisung could for example turn evil and use Minho to reach his goals and the cat hybrid would have to help him because he needed Jisung to be by his side to feel happy.

But if the mate bond was taken seriously and cared for then it could become something very positive and very powerful in certain aspects because it would connect the mates in a way that was unreachable by any kind of magic.

A knock on his room door made Minho turn his attention away from his phone as well as his thoughts and focus on the door. The door was opened by his mother, who looked a little irritated but it was nothing too bad. She simply wasn't the person, who would get angry or irritated easily.

"I called for you three times, young man, so would you please be so kind and come downstairs with me so we can have a nice family-lunch?", she asked in a seemingly scolding tone but it was a little too soft to actually be called like that.

"Alright, alright", Minho sighed and stood up from his bed, leaving his phone on the nightstand. He was hiding his irritation and disappointment well but his mother noticed anyway because she always did when something was wrong with one of her boys, so when Minho wanted to walk past his mother, she simply struck out her arm to stop him from doing so.

"What's bothering you, honey?", she questioned softly looking at her son with motherly concern. "Nothing important", Minho mumbled because he was sure his voice would give him away to his mother when he spoke louder. "It's obviously important to you, so spill", Mrs. Lee answered, still in a soft, motherly tone but with a bit of a sternness. Minho sighed again, knowing fully well that his mother wouldn't give up until he told her what was bothering him. Felix had that from her.

"It's my mate. He declined my offer to hang out for the fourth time in this week and that feels weird", Minho admitted and avoided eye contact with his mother because he knew her worry would be shown in her eyes. He didn't want his mother to worry or think bad of Jisung now.