Chapter XI

"I hate to admit it..."

"Woo, I feel I may like this."

"... but you were right!" Feng Xin completed.

"I'm always right, still it feels so good hearing you say it out loud." Mu Qing spat back and added, "Where is Lian? Somebody must record you saying this."

"I didn't call him, it's just us. Actually, it's been a few weeks since I last saw him. Director Hua must be keeping him busy."

"What was this thing I'm obviously right about?"

Feng Xin sighed and started explaining. "Some days ago, I couldn't sleep so I made the bad decision of unlocking my phone."

"One: that was stupid, but that's common for you. Two: just say it straight away, don't fill the story with irrelevant details." Mu Qing was impatient as usual.

Feng Xin rejoiced in teasing him. "It was still the middle of the night and I remembered your ugly face from the last time we met, all contorted while being suspicious of Hua Cheng. So..."

"Is this it? Of course I was right about this since always! But you, no, you had to fight me on this too. You can be so blinded by your own ego that..."

"Oh my, can you just shut up and listen to the rest, please?"

Feng Xin and Mu Qing trying to have a sensible talk was impossible, as Xie Lian would have once again concluded if he was here.

Feng Xin continued, "I tried googling his name, more than you have ever done although you were 'so right' in your suspicion. There are very few interviews, the guy surely likes to keep it low-profile. Still, many critics commented about the change in the cast from his play to the movie adaptation, and I ended up amused by this one blog, who pointed out that the main actress, which was previously casted for the play, was now removed from the official cast list.

"That's weird. Do you think something hap..." Gears started turning in Mu Qing's mind but Feng Xin interrupted him.

"The blog also mentioned that she went to a therapeutic spa for an entire year after the play was suspended." Feng Xin completed. He looked like he was not done, but Mu Qing just could not contain himself.

"I knew it, I knew there was something odd in all of that. Sometimes, darkness just paints over colors, you see, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. There must be some money involved too! Why did everyone keep silent?" Mu Qing continued non-stop. "Hua Cheng looks so mischievous after all. I wonder when will he show his true colors to Lian. Oh, but Lian is so pure-hearted, he'd not noticed, even if..."

"Lord in Heavens, this guy here knows how to be obnoxious! Let me finish, for crying out loud! You'll have your turn. Or not, as I may just leave you with your own opinions since you know best than everyone anyway." Feng Xin waited in silence for Mu Qing to nod as if saying "I'm listening, go on" before starting to speak again. He inhaled deeply and continued. "She has not appeared in any other productions for the last two years. She was not a teenager when she was casted for that role, but she wasn't old either as if it was time for her to retire already. This reinforces that something must have indeed happened." He finished, but now Mu Qing just kept quiet, so Feng Xin had to tease. "C'mon, speak now, you not-humble-at-all detective."

Mu Qing was silent. He always knew how to be so annoying, but actually it looked like he was thinking about something. Feng Xin noticed a spark in his friend's eyes, as if an idea was taking shape. "Oh my, what have I done? What are you think..."

"Let's find them."

"Who?"

"The cast! Let's try to talk to them. At least the two protagonists, or their agents or something."