Chapter XXVIII

Hua Cheng got to his office panting. He could not believe what he just heard. He kept throwing looks at his Gege, but the actor was only smiling to the crowd. Once the curtains closed again, there was an avalanche of people coming for him and for Xie Lian. They were forced apart by compliments and everyone's attention.

Before climbing on stage, Hua Cheng was actually feeling accomplished. Monday would bring what the critics had to say, but the director was quite sure of his work this time. Clearly, the play was a success on the audience side. Most of it, of course, because of his Gege's work. Xie Lian had been supreme. His passion, his intensity. Every cell in Hua Cheng's body knew the script and still, he felt touched by every turn of event and at every reaction the actor performed. On top of his talent, Gege was so particularly handsome tonight.

However, what he heard just now felt like a slit in Hua Cheng's canvas to life. It caused him to face the dark reality that maybe they would not be together anymore. If Gege did not want to be with him, he would back away instantly. He only wished Gege to be happy, and after learning who Hua Cheng really was, his presence might feel disturbing to Xie Lian. In the end, maybe he should just continue to give Gege more space.

Hua Cheng contemplated the possible ruin of his life while looking at the open door, right on time to see Quan Yizhen pass by.

"Hey, you! Come here for a moment." There was an urgent matter to solve. He would resume his misery soon enough after it.

"Director Hua, sure." Quan Yizhen happily stepped inside. "By the way, the play was incredible. I'm so happy you and Gege..."

"What? Are together?" Hua Cheng let that slip as fiercely as he could.

Quan Yizhen widened his eyes. "Of course, I mean, that you two got to work together was a marvelous turn of the destin..."

"You know which 'together' I'm talking about. I noticed you pay too much attention to details." Hua Cheng was making an effort to sound intimidating, although honestly, he did not need to. Quan Yizhen was scared enough just to be talking to him, nevermind about this particular topic. "I'm just wondering what was it that you saw, that may have caused you to be so alert."

Quan Yizhen remembered two slender shapes entangled together in the dimly-lit stage of his mind. He respected his Gege and director Hua so much. He never meant to cause them harm. But did Hua Cheng knew that he filmed them? He seemed so irritated, what would he do if he learned Quan Yizhen actually did share the video? His worries started to gain form and rolled out of his eyes. "Director, I'm not sure wh..."

"Oh, you aren't?" Director Hua was not moved and closed the door to continue the scolding. "So, would you be so kind as to give me your phone for a second?" Hua Cheng hoped that Qi Rong actually deleted the video from the entire network. Still, there could be incriminating conversations he wished to check for. "C'mon, we don't have all night. You and I still have a lot of work to do."

Quan Yizhen could not move. He cherished this job so much, he did not want to be fired. He would have a bad reference, how would that affect his search for new jobs? He only did what he truly thought was best for his Gege. The one that liked eggs, the one that looked like a star on stage tonight, and the one that seemed so happy in director's Hua company. Was Gege really being deceived by the director?

Hua Cheng reached for Quan Yizhen's pocket. "It's here, don't try to say you don't have it on you. C'mon, kid, let me have a look. Well, you're not so much of a kid, but are really just as innocent as one, aren't you?"

Quan Yizhen surrendered. He was afraid of the way the director lunched for him and just gave him the phone. "Please, director, I can explain. It was for the sake..."