Chapter XXI

Jun Wu was checking his phone every five minutes all day long. He slept poorly, imagining if Dianxia and that trash director had any affair on the day of the graduation party. He wished so badly it was him taking Xie Lian to the party, he even worked double shifts to save the money and buy the invitations.

It all felt really stupid now. He would probably not get a chance with his Dianxia again, at least for a while. Odds were definitely against him since Director Hua Cheng stepped in. Jun Wu hated to admit, but that fellow was indeed impressive. Still, if he managed to remove this variable out, his chances would start increasing again. That was his twisted logic.

His most unfavorable feature was, actually, the fact that Xie Lian's parents were getting in the way with their intolerance and health issues. Hence, he decided to give a little push and force Xie Lian to tell them at once. He knew Dianxia would be deeply affected by the whole event, Jun Wu was not happy to cause his beloved to suffer, but life is as they say. This would not kill Xie Lian, he was strong enough already and he would come out of it even stronger than he already was.

Just as a precaution, he decided to blame it all on Hua Cheng, making it seem like it was his doing to interfere and shove the truth in Xie Lian's parents face. In case everything went terribly wrong, Jun Wu would be safe. Perhaps even safer. Dianxia would need a friend shoulder to cry on. If it concerned Jun Wu, Dianxia could have his shoulder, arms, hands, legs and more. He would be at his complete disposal.

That was a great plan. Again, inside Jun Wu's twisted logic. So when a message arrived with the sender 'Dianxia', Jun Wu let out a victory "YES!" in the middle of the store he worked. He apologized and pretended he needed to go to the toilet.

The message was short. "I need help."

Jun Wu rejoiced. He was waiting for an entire day already and his fingers were faster than his thinking. He quickly typed "I wish I didn't have to say 'I told you so'. Unfortunately, you had to see his real deal for yourself" and pressed send. Dianxia was clearly trying to be freed from Hua Cheng's grip and it was up to no one else than Jun Wu to go to his aid.

He washed his hands, which were not actually dirty, and left the bathroom. Once back inside, his boss called him and started giving instructions for tomorrow. It's funny how our minds can wander away even though we should be paying attention to something important. Most impressively, sometimes we know we are drifting and should not be, but still, we just catch any wave of thought and surf away. Right then, it hit him.

He gave himself away to Dianxia. He should have waited for Dianxia to tell him about the deal. What was he thinking? Now some time had passed, he was stuck in this stupid meeting with few people in the room. Fuck. He would have to wait for it to be over, only then he would be able to look at his phone.

He waited. He grew impatient. He became very annoyed.

Finally, when the meeting was done, he looked his cellphone again. No other messages. He knew he had been busted. Dianxia was dead clever, he must have read right through him. That's it, he needed to act again. If the safest way was already out of question and if Dianxia found out about him already, he would be more drastic. He typed, "Either you get away from each other or this will surely be seen by some more people."

That would force Xie Lian and Hua Cheng to split or at least to distance for a bit. Jun Wu knew Dianxia was very kind and would not want to expose Hua Cheng to gossip. He would probably back away for a bit and that would give Jun Wu time.

Time to buy a nice gift and meet Dianxia after his premiere on Friday. They would talk, perhaps Xie Lian would agree to let him get close little by little again. Jun Wu would be patient. Or perhaps he would risk kissing Dianxia again, his lips were so tempting. Did Dianxia feel the same way when they touched? It was this most amazing feeling, a warm and thrilling electric current. He probably did, that's why he was so afraid of admitting his feelings for Jun Wu.