Chapter 36: Broken or saved

When I arrived in the control room, Governor Tarkin was standing in front of the wall screen. It displayed a small green planet that I recognized as Alderaan, Princess Leia's home planet.

"Governor Tarkin," I greet stepping next to him.

"Atlantia," He greets looking at me, "I heard about the princess's attempt to bring back the old Atlantia."

"Whatever she and the rebels have planned, they will not succeed." I say confidently and with enough authority to get him to drop the subject. It was then I noticed Admiral Motti enter the control room and giving a small bow to the two of us.

"We've entered the Alderaan system." He informs us. Then I hear footsteps down the hallway making the three of us turn to see who it was. Lord Vader and two stormtroopers enter the control room with Leia in front of them with her hands bound.

"Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash." Leia said grinning at Tarkin, "I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board."

"Charming to the last." Governor Tarkin said unfazed by her words, "You don't know how hard I found it signing the order to terminate your life."

"I'm surprised you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself!" Leia scoffs.

"Princess Leia, before your execution I would like you to be my guest at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational. No star system will dare oppose the Emperor now." Governor Tarkin says ignoring that last statement

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." Leia smirks.

"Not after we demonstrate the power of this station." He replies, "In a way, you have determined the choice of the planet that'll be destroyed first. Since you are reluctant to provide us with the location of the Rebel base, I have chosen to test this station's destructive power... on your home planet of Alderaan." He gestures to the window showing the planet outside.

"No! Alderaan is peaceful. We have no weapons. You can't possibly..." Leia says horrified.

"You would prefer another target? A military target? Then name the system!" Tarkin says towering over Leia menacingly squeezing her between him and Lord Vader. "I grow tired of asking this. So it'll be the last time. Where is the Rebel base?"

"Dantooine." Leia says softly before lowering her head in shame and saying a little louder, "They're on Dantooine." I wanted to shout that was wrong since I knew it was on Yavin but Atlantia was preventing me like always to let the Empire know.

"There. You see Lord Vader, she can be reasonable." Tarkin says smiling up at Lord Vader before turning toward Admiral Motti. "Continue with the operation. You may fire when ready."

"What?" Leia said in disbelief.

"You're far too trusting." Tarkin reprimands, "Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration. But don't worry. We will deal with your Rebel friends soon enough."

"No!" Leia screams before turning to me, "Remember the one who fought for the good of others against all odds." I grab my head in pain gripping Admiral Motti's shoulder for support as I feel whatever spell the rebels were doing grab hold of me. Admiral Motti helps support me as I watch memories that I had suppressed with the old Atlantia. Leia smirks before opening her mouth to say something, most likely the next part of the spell, but I just raised my hand and a vine appears in her mouth before wrapping behind her blocking her way of speaking. She grumbles behind the gag but nothing could be made out from her muffled words. I glare at her as I nod at Governor Tarkin when he asked if I was alright. With the memories fading, I release my hold on Motti with a small thanks before turning to watch the show.