Chapter 41: A rescue of a friend

I sigh, but I knew Luke was going to keep asking till I told him, so I decided to give him some information while allowing for him to find out the rest with Obi-Wan and Yoda once he returns to his training.

"I've always known Luke." I say, "I was there at your birth. I've always known, but I couldn't bring myself to tell anyone."

"Why? Why couldn't you tell anyone?" Luke asks, hurt.

"I didn't want to see the broken look on anyone else's face." I admit, "Luke, your father used to be a powerful Jedi. One I fought alongside in the Clone Wars, and many of those who knew him would be devastated to hear that this great man had given in to the dark side. I was, and still am, hurt to think of the man that protected me is the same one who took my eyes, so I took the lie that the man I knew in the Clone Wars died and in his place was Darth Vader."

"Who was he before he became Darth Vader?" Luke asked.

"He was an eager young man. Driven to become the best Jedi and to defeat the Separatists. Your father was sometimes reckless, but the recklessness led to the most important wins in the war." I tell him, even though I knew he was asking for his father's name, "I can't tell you who he is because that is something Yoda and Obi-Wan should tell you. After we rescue Han, you need to return to Dagobah."

"I will. I promised Master Yoda that I would." Luke promises. I nod before turning and leaving the room. Remembering who Darth Vader used to be brought back memories that I had forgotten about, and I could feel the tears forming, but I held them back. The memories also made me realize how Vader treated me when I was under the influence of Cordelia. He had treated me pretty similar to Anakin would treat me. Vader would tease me, protect me in situations that I didn't need protection, and apologize to me without actually apologizing. Anakin was still there. He just needed to be brought to the surface, and I was going to make sure Anakin returned.

It took longer than I expected for Lando to contact us, letting us know he had found Han. He was at the palace of Jabba Hut, but it took a while for Lando to infiltrate it and then find time to send a signal to let us know that he had found him. Luke, Leia, and I, along with R2 and 3PO, immediately headed off to rescue him. We met Chewie, who was hiding a little bit away from the palace, and he explained that Lando was playing a smuggler who liked to hang out at the palace.

"He can be back up." I say, letting the wheels spin as I think of a plan, "If I remember correctly, Jabba likes to make deals, so perhaps Luke should offer to barter with him for Han. We can send R2 and 3PO to deliver the message."

"Why wouldn't you be making the deal or at least be making it together?" Luke asks.

"Because he treats women like objects for his amusement, so he wouldn't take me seriously, and he would believe I would be bartering my body instead of money," I say truthfully. "It has to be you. You have a better chance of being taken seriously." Luke agrees after I say that, so I gesture for him and R2 to follow me to record the message. I coach Luke into what he has to say and even tell him that he was a Jedi Knight since that would make it more likely for this plan to work. Once the message was recorded, we told R2 not to worry if they get taken because we would rescue them but not to tell 3PO because he would ruin the plan. R2 beeps his agreement before leaving with 3PO. We wait a day, and once we haven't got a message, I connect my soul to R2's eyes, and I could see that they were taken as servants for Jabba, so I went to plan B.

Plan B involved Leia dressing up as a bounty hunter and bringing in Chewie since Jabba had put a bounty on Chewie's head. She would return later that night to free Han. They would obviously be captured, but Luke would come in the next day to try to free them. If he can, great! But most likely, he won't be able to, so I would free the four of them when Jabba sentences them to death.