12. dropped the gun

"Here." Amelia dropped a container of prenatal vitamins in front of Avie's face as she sat at the kitchen table.

Avie flinched as the container hit the table.

"Um, thanks?" Avie inspected the bottle of pills she would have to take every day. The thought of it freaked her out but if she planned on keeping it alive, she needed it healthy.

"I'm going to help you pay for the pills and OB but you better start picking up more shifts for when that baby is here." Amelia unpacked other bags of groceries as she lectured her daughter.

"I know. I'm going to switch to full time the rest of the summer." Avie spoke before taking a bite of an apple.

"And once school starts?" Amelia paused her unbagging and looked at her daughter with hands on her hips.

Avie just looked at her mom and shrugged.

Amelia shook her head in disappointment and continued unbagging.

"Mom, I'll be in school. I'll only be able to work part time!" Avie tried defending herself.

"Well, you should of thought about that before you decided to get pregnant."

"I didn't exactly make that decision."

"You decided to make a careless decision that led to this." Amelia scolded her daughter. While she was coming to terms with it, it was frustrating to see her daughter in a vulnerable position. The family struggled with money sometimes and Avie was in no position to afford a child.

Avie didn't answer and threw her apple into the garbage. She lost her appetite.

"Avery, it is going to be very difficult for your father and I to lend money for yours and JJ's baby."

"Please, don't say that." Avie cringed at the thought of hers and JJ's 'baby'.

"I just want you guys to be ready for that."

Avie nodded, "I know, we'll be okay."

Amelia stared at her daughter with sad eyes.

"We will be fine, Mom. JJ will be here soon and we can talk." Avie told her.

"Daylon will be home soon, too."

"What!?" Avie shouted. It was bad enough to have a stupid family meeting with JJ over this but adding Daylon to that?

"Avery, he needs to be there. Dad and I will be there to dilute his anger." Amelia tried to convince her daughter that it would be fine but even she feared her son's reaction.

"Mom, he is going to kill JJ. You know many times he's fought him over the passed few weeks?" Avie argued.

"Over what?"

"Exactly! Nothing. Literally over nothing. He's still butthurt over last summer."

Avie and Amelia turned their heads as they heard the door open to reveal Rian and Daylon.

"Look who I found as I pulled up." Rian grinned and walked in with his son.

"I'm back!" Daylon grinned.

Amelia went over and hugged her son, "I'm glad you're okay."

"I'm fine."

Avie just observed the situation.

"I gave him a fair warning for tonight." Rian told his family.

"Yeah, what the hell is this about? Last time we had a family meeting it was to tell us that we were getting kicked out of our last house." Daylon said and sat on the couch.