49. dropped

JJ's trial was tomorrow and all the pogues were beginning to freak out as they had no proof that he was innocent. They searched Luke's house, his truck, his work, everywhere. They could not find one piece of evidence that would at least take the police's eyes off JJ.

Avie nursed Riv as they sat on the porch of the chateau. JJ smoked a joint with Kie on the opposite side of the porch away from River and Avie. Sarah played with Riv's feet that were enclosed in her footie-pajamas. John B and Pope sat on folding chairs as they thought hard about the situation.

Avie shook her head, "I'm out of ideas."

"Yucatan, baby!" JJ called with a smirk on his face.

Avie huffed and rolled her eyes.

"You're going to be on the run with a literal child?" Sarah looked at the blond boy.

JJ's eyes scanned his friends before shrugging his shoulders.

Pope shook his head, "You can't be a fugitive with your daughter, JJ."

"Alright, you got any ideas?" JJ argued with his friend.

"Guys, stop. They can hide for a bit but we'd have to clear his name fast. Can't have Riv living like that." John B added in.

"John B, you cannot possibly tell me you're okay with your two teen parent friends hiding with a baby?" Kie questioned.

JJ felt his phone buzz from his pocket. He pulled it out and brought it to his ear, "This is President Obama speaking; how may I help you?...Oh uh, yeah, this is him." He joked before furrowing his eyebrows with a serious expression on his face.

The crew all stopped their bickering and looked at their friend in confusion.

"Okay...um yeah...wait, what?" JJ froze as he listened to the caller from the other side, "Wait, are you serious?...Like you're not shitting me right now, are you?"

"Who's he talking to?" Pope looked at Avie.

Avie didn't take her eyes off her boyfriend and shrugged, "No idea."

"Okay..." JJ continued, "Wow, holy crap. This is insane." He paced on the porch and ran a hand through his hair, "You found his phone? So-so that's the proof?...Okay, shit...Yeah, yeah, okay...Thank you." He hung up the phone and turned to his friends after shoving his phone in his back pocket.

"What was that about?" Kie asked before inhaling the joint in her hand.

"They dropped the charges." JJ looked down, not believing his reality right now.

"What?" Kie coughed on the smoke which sent her into a fit.

"What are you talking about?" Avie asked and sat up further.

"They uh," He looked between all his friends, "found my dad's phone. Said there was a message sent to one of his buddies about his plan."

"Are you kidding right now!?" Pope stood up with a huge grin plastered on his face.

"Looks like our theory was right." JJ couldn't help the smile that crept on his lips.

" JJ couldn't help the smile that crept on his lips