39. please come back

"He got you good, huh?" Ashton chuckled as he watched JJ emerge from Avie's room the following morning.

JJ held his head with one hand after feeling the aftermath from his father's beating. It hadn't happened in so long he forgot how to handle it.

"My fucking head hurts." JJ sat at the table with his head in his hands. Ashton could tell he was stressed whether it was from his dad or even the baby, the man looked miserable.

Ashton's eyes moved to his sister as she carried a screaming baby, "That explains more." It wasn't long until he realized Avie was crying.

"I don't," Avie hiccupped, "know what to do!"

Ashton stepped closer and glanced down at River, "There's not even any tears." He chuckled then stopped when he saw how hurt his sister looked, "Alright, where's Mom?"

Avie shrugged and tried rocking Riv in a different position.

"Did you feed her yet?" JJ asked and looked up at her.

"What do you think, JJ!?" Avie's eyes widened as she looked at JJ. Of course she fed her. She did everything. She had a clean diaper, full belly, no fever. Avie was running out of solutions.

"I was just asking!" JJ nearly yelled before rubbing his head again.

"She do this all night?" Ashton looked between them before Avie nodded in response.

JJ stood up suddenly, "I don't know how much more I can take."

Daylon entered the kitchen and noticed the tension

Daylon entered the kitchen and noticed the tension. He looked at Riv who continued screaming, Avie who was trying to refrain from crying again, JJ who looked done, then to Ashton and shrugged in response.

"Then leave." Avie stated bluntly as she stared at JJ.

JJ looked up at her through his eyebrows, not exactly meaning what he said. His head was pounding and he felt like he wanted to shove his head under water but he wouldn't leave his girlfriend and daughter so helpless.

"Want me to take her?" Daylon almost mumbled as he held his hands out for his niece.

Avie eyed her boyfriend down as she handed the screaming infant to her brother. She noticed JJ's nostrils flare as Riv entered Daylon's embrace.

"Okay, okay.." Daylon leaned her against his chest and bounced her, "This good?"

"Mhm," Avie walked over to JJ and whispered to him, "Who was the one that stayed up all night trying to help her while you tried to sleep through it?"

"I-I didn't sleep through it." JJ angrily whispered back.

"Right, you ignored her while I dealt with her."

"Aves, I just got my ass kicked by my dad!" JJ stopped whispering. Ashton looked over to the couple curiously as he rubbed his niece's back next to Daylon.