38. christmas guest

"Merry Christmas, I love you guys." Pope grinned at all of his friends as they scattered across the living room.

Sarah smiled and hugged John B as she looked at everyone, "Merry Christmas guys."

"To Jesus?" JJ smirked and raised a beer. He sat slouched on the couch as Riv slept against his chest. Infants nearly slept through anything. Avie sat on the floor below him, in-between his legs. Her doctor had advised her to stay clear of weed and alcohol until she was no longer breastfeeding as it could affect the baby.

"To Jesus!" John B shouted. They all raised their beers before finishing another round.

"I think I'm higher than Jesus." Kie giggled with her eyes hanging low.

Sarah smiled and rolled her eyes, "Aves, nothin' for you  tonight?"

Avie shook her head no sadly, "I have to stay sober for the tiny human that now runs my life." JJ chuckled and rubbed her shoulder from behind her.

"Aw, boo." Kie pouted before giggling again.

"Trust me, I wish I could." Avie grinned at Kie who was in her own world.

"She gonna be alright?" Pope raised an eyebrow as he examined his friend.

JJ shrugged, "She'll be fine. She's greened out before."

"So any exciting plans for tomorrow, little family?" Sarah turned to JJ and Avie.

Avie shrugged, "Just a regular Christmas with the Thomas family. Nothing special."

"What about the Maybank family?" John B asked and nodded towards JJ who rubbed Riv's back.

"I'm not a Maybank." Avie spoke.

"Not yet." JJ suggested.

"No, but she is." Pope pointed to the baby that wiggled in her sleep against JJ's chest before settling again. Her fist held a grip on his t-shirt; a habit that JJ noticed she did every time she was in his arms. It seemed like it comforted her and that made him feel honored.

"I'll probably spend the day with them. Gotta see my dad at some point." JJ answered before sipping on his beer.

Avie turned and looked up at him with her eyebrows raised.

"You and Riv aren't coming! Don't worry." JJ quickly corrected himself when he saw the annoyance on his girlfriend's face.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" John B questioned.

"Yeah, have you even seen him recently?" Sarah asked.

JJ shrugged and avoided eye contact with everybody, "Not since before Rivvy."

"J, I don't think that's a good idea." Avie told him. All their friends nodded in agreement.

"I gotta, baby. He'll be worst if I don't. I'm just gonna stop by, say merry Christmas and go."

"That's never how it goes." Kie looked at him through her eyebrows.

He looked at her annoyed, "Sorry, you scared Riv before; I don't think you get a say in this." JJ didn't want to hold a grudge but he could still hear the way she screamed in fear when the phone abruptly landed on her stomach. It bothered him.

"Hm?" Avie looked at them confused.

Kie huffed, "It was an accident."

"An accident that shouldn't have happened." JJ stared her down.

"Anyone wanna tell me what they're arguing about?" Avie looked at everyone.

John B sighed, "Kie went to take a picture of River but dropped her phone on her. But it was her stomach and she wasn't hurt!"