everything will work out

"JJ, look." Avie ran to JJ the moment he opened the door of their apartment.

He chuckled with a smile on his face, "Let me walk in the door first."

Avie looked up at him and shoved the object in her hand against his chest as he closed the door behind him, "No, no. Look."

His smile slowly faded as he looked down and took the object from her hand. He noticed it was a pregnancy test and he already knew what was coming.

She stared at him with her hands together over her heart. She looked worried of his reaction though she knew everything would be okay.

"Shit, are you serious?" JJ looked at her as she nodded then looked back at the test, "What the fuck."

"J, you promised you were being careful!" She hit his chest. She had dreamed of the day they would make another but when it became reality, nerves flooded her body at the thought of two children at such a young age.

"I was being careful!" He looked at her.

"Not careful enough!" She hit his chest again.

JJ laughed slightly then placed the test down on the counter and held her wrists in his large hands, "Okay, alright, look at me. It's okay."

She shook her head as tears threatened her eyes, "I'm scared."

"I thought you wanted another?" He tilted his head to the side.

"I-I do but n-now that it's real I realize how scary it can be. Remember how hard Rivvy was? What if this one is like her and only wants you! I-I mean I can't do that again. I was so sad. And.. And remember how tired we were? Oh my god and remember how mad my brothers were? W-what if they're even more mad now and-"

"Avie," JJ chuckled and pulled her closer so they were chest to chest, "Baby, relax. It's okay. I.." He thought for a moment as he too grew scared of what was to come. One child was not in his plans let alone two. But he thought back to how Riv turned his life around. She saved him and brought them a life they would have never had.

"We got this." He told her and placed his on hands on her upper and lower back to pull her in against his chest, rubbing circles under her shirt with one hand softly.

Avie sniffled and nodded, "I don't want you to go anywhere."

"I'm not. Never again, alright? I'm here and we'll figure it out together." He kissed the crown of her head.

She pulled back but kept her arms around his torso, "You promise?"

He nodded with a soft grin, "I promise." She smiled softly as JJ used two thumbs to wipe the tears from underneath her eyes, "Now stop your cryin'. Riv cried to me enough this morning."

Avie giggled, "M-maybe you'll get a boy."

"Yeah, and it better look like me. Riv's lookin' more and more like you everyday." JJ told her with a smile as he backed up to grab a snack.

"Hey, that's a good thing." Avie crossed her arms as she joked.

"It's a very good thing." He grabbed a bag of mini muffins that Riv begged for then kissed his girlfriend's forehead.

"Dada!" A small voice called from the hallway as little feet ran over.

JJ chuckled and watched as his daughter appeared, running to hug his leg. He stumbled slightly as he threw the mini muffins back on the counter then knelt down to her height, "What's up, baby girl?"

"Mish you, Dada." Riv leaned her head against his chest and took in the comfort of his scent.

JJ looked up at Avie and spoke quietly, "Did you tell her?"

Avie just shook her head in response.

"Hey, listen. We gotta tell you somethin', Rivvy." JJ told her as he lifted her into his arms to sit her on his hip.

"Mm?" Riv looked at him in confusion as she waited for an answer.

"Remember the baby in the show we watched the other day?" Avie asked in a nice tone as she watched her daughter's facial expressions.

Riv thought before answering, "Um, yah."

"There's a baby in Mommy's belly now." JJ poked Avie's stomach as she flinched and pushed his hand away with a grin.

"Baby in Mama's belly?" River furrowed her eyebrows in utter confusion looking down to her mother's stomach.

JJ chuckled at her puzzlement, "Yeah, and in a few months you'll have a baby sibling."

She had no idea what that meant. All she pieced together in her little head was the image of a real baby in her home, not some fake baby doll.

"But the baby has to grow first before it can come out." Avie added and rubbed Riv's cheek.

"Um," Riv looked down as her parents exchanged glances and laughed slightly, "In Mama's belly?" She asked again.

"Yeah, Riv." Avie kissed her cheek then ran a hand through her messy hair.

Riv could not completely grasp the concept but she grew excited at the thought of having a real baby to help with rather than forcing her mother to play baby dolls with her.

"Cool!" She jumped in JJ's arms causing him to smile.

Avie giggled at her reaction as JJ brought her into his side with his free hand, "See? I promise everything will work out."