30. hormones

It was finally October, Avie was 26 weeks pregnant as she wore sweatpants and her dad's giant hoodie around school. It was the end of the day and she was staying late to collect the rest of this year's school to take home. Amelia discussed it with the dean of students and Avie's guidance counselor and they okayed it.

"You alright, baby?" JJ asked as he followed his girlfriend around.

She held her lower back as she carried her backpack and a stack of papers from almost all her teachers.

"Jesus, Aves, here." JJ took her backpack from her and held it over his arm, "Shouldn't be carrying all this crap. What's even in here anyway? Fuckin' bricks?"

Avie chuckled, "Everything from my locker."

"Damn. Okay, who's next?" He asked as they walked down the hall.

"I just have Ms. Finch left." She looked at the numbers on the classroom doors and finally reached her last period teacher.

"Alright, baby, it's all you." JJ stood at the door as Avie smiled and walked into the classroom.

"Oh! Hello, Avery. How are you? I totally forgot Mrs. Adler told me today was your last day." Ms. Finch spoke as she referred to Avie's guidance counselor.

"Uh, yeah, I hope I'm not bugging you too much."

"No, never! Come in." Ms. Finch smiled and began collecting paperwork for her student.

"So, Mrs. Adler told me she couldn't explain why you were leaving so suddenly." She scrunched her eyebrows as she looked through a stack of papers, "If you don't mind me asking, why?"

Ms. Finch was young and definitely one of the coolest teachers there. Hell, Avie would talk to her over her guidance counselor any day. She was caring, understanding and made school more fun.

"Oh," Avie giggled awkwardly and felt her cheeks heat up. None of her other teachers had asked why. They either somehow knew or just knew her reason for leaving was confidential, "Well, you know my boyfriend JJ."

"Mhm, love that boy. Makes my third period class much more entertaining." Ms. Finch placed a pile of assignments on the desk that Avie stood near before sitting on her own desk.

Avie smiled at the thought of an adult actually liking JJ. He was a little much. It's understandable why half his teacher's hated him.

"Yeah, well um.. we're kinda gonna have a baby." Avie looked down and fiddled with her thumbs, "It's kinda embarrassing with my stomach getting so big."

Ms. Finch's eyes nearly popped out of her head at Avie's words, "You're pregnant?" She spoke quietly almost as if it were gossip.

Avie nodded shamefully.

"I would have never guessed!"

Avie turned to the side and pulled her sweatshirt up slightly as she looked at JJ who peaked through the window on the door. His eyes widened as he got nervous that people were going to find out.

"Wow, Avery, you look beautiful! You are glowing, I'm telling you." Ms. Finch complimented her before she pulled her giant sweatshirt back over her bump, "Where is that boy? Get him in here!"

"JJ?"

"Yes, go get him."

"Uh, okay." Avie was confused but motioned at JJ to come into the room.

"Uh, hi Ms. Finch." He spoke awkwardly now that she knew their secret.

"Hello, JJ. I hear you're gonna be a dad?" Ms. Finch asked him with a soft smile.