27. we're in the middle of something

"Avery, I'm buying you a used crib. We can't afford a new one." Amelia slapped a motherhood catalogue down on the kitchen table as JJ laid on the couch with his head on Avie's lap.

"We don't need one. She can just sleep on my bed with me." Avie shrugged and curled JJ's hair in her fingers.

"You have a twin sized bed. That is not safe." Amelia placed a hand on her hip as she leaned her other hand on the recliner.

"Let's buy a bigger bed." JJ suggested.

Avie pointed as if he was right.

Amelia shook her head, "I'll buy the baby a fresh mattress but I'll find a used crib that's in good condition." She walked to the kitchen quickly, "Avery, you have no room for a bigger bed." She picked the motherhood catalog back up.

"I have no room for a child."

JJ chuckled.

Amelia let out a small laugh, "Oh! I almost forgot!" She tossed the magazine down.

"What?" Avie looked over at her.

"I bought these the other day." She dug through a paper bag that was sitting in the corner of the kitchen.

JJ sat up and looked at Avie's mom.

"Look. At. These." Amelia tip toed over holding a set of onesies that came in 3 different colors; yellow, pink and lilac.

JJ raised his eyebrows.

"Really Mom?" Avie looked at the newborn onesies and took them in her hands.

"You've gotta start somewhere!" She smiled.

"Those will fit her?" JJ questioned and felt the material of the clothing.

"I mean, they might be a little big at first but she'll grow into them quick." Amelia shrugged and sat on the recliner.

"Aren't babies bigger? These look tiny as hell." He chuckled.

Avie scrunched her eyebrows and looked at her boyfriend.

Amelia looked at him confused.

"What?"

"JJ, have you ever...held a newborn before?" Amelia asked carefully as she titled her head.

He looked at Avie then back to Amelia, "Um, no. I've never even held a kid."

Amelia's eyebrows raised in shock, "Wow, okay. You've got a lot to learn, I see."

Avie giggled and rubbed his back, "Aw, J."

JJ felt his cheeks heat up as he realized he was not at all prepared to be a dad. He's never even held any child before, let alone an infant. Shit was starting to scare him.

"It'll come naturally when it's your own." Amelia assured him.

"I hope so." He chuckled awkwardly.

Avie smiled then turned back to her mom, "Mom, you didn't have to buy clothes. We need to start doing some things on our own."

"I know but I don't mind helping for my grandchild and you'll have a bunch of other things to buy once she's here. Diapers, wipes, formula. So much." Amelia reminded the two of the commitment they signed up for.

"Formula?" Avie raised an eyebrow.

"Yes. How come?" She paused before speaking again, "Oh! You may want to breastfeed?"

"Oh god, ew, Mom! Stop." Avie said as she felt grossed out. Well, she wasn't grossed out by breastfeeding, she was grossed out by the thought of doing it herself at 17. That was freaky.